[SOLVED] Power issue

scipio2nd

Commendable
Jun 14, 2017
The pc only flickers to life occasionally when pressing the power button. E. G. The fan spins once, lights go on and off. Then nothing, all dark.

I changed the power supply to a brand new corsair vs650, the same result.

I then detached all the extra components which required power supply power. Eg, gpu, hdd.

The system powered on. Allowed me to access bios. If I didn't press DEL to go onto bios it goes to a black screen with text asking to input SHELL commands and can't find startup file.

I then turned it off, attached a hdd, the system flickers and goes dead. I detached that and added the gpu, the system flickers and goes dead.

The only thing which allows the system to startup is when it's only the motherboard being powered.

How this began was I was playing a game and the computer shut off. When I started it up again, it went to boot up but then shut off.

I have reseated all cables. Only component I have not removed is the cpu. All others have been taken out and reinstalled.

I believe the motherboard is an msi z97 and cpu is an i7.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Solution
that to me sounds like a motherboard issue, but the issue with my diagnostic is that there is no way to prove it other than to shell out some money and buy a replacement and if nothing changes get a refund on the replacement.

if its a cpu, gpu, ram problem etc the pc would turn on and stay on but would not display anything. that is my only evidence to tell you for it being the motherboard. but as i say. my gut instinct is pushing towards a mobo issue

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
that to me sounds like a motherboard issue, but the issue with my diagnostic is that there is no way to prove it other than to shell out some money and buy a replacement and if nothing changes get a refund on the replacement.

if its a cpu, gpu, ram problem etc the pc would turn on and stay on but would not display anything. that is my only evidence to tell you for it being the motherboard. but as i say. my gut instinct is pushing towards a mobo issue

Solution