Question Power issues, and can't tell what's going on

Jun 25, 2019
New here! 👋

I'm troubleshooting power issues on a gaming PC my brother is having me build for him, and I have a very odd set of circumstances, so I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it.
  • I have a 24-pin ATX power supply that I've verified with a multimeter that the voltages of the 24-pin connector are within the tolerances. I don't know the format of the other connectors, including the EATX CPU connector, so I don't know about whether those are within the tolerances.
  • When I turn on the power supply with everything connected, the on-board LEDs on the motherboard light up, but nothing else on the motherboard powers on, not even the external fans plugged into it. And of course, it won't boot.
  • The LEDs for the case, plugged in via a separate cable, also won't power on.
For context, this is a brand new PC, and hasn't successfully powered on once. And it's this build, if you're curious what all the individual parts are. (It all does actually fit, just a little snugly due to the IMHO poor case design. I didn't pick it - my brother did.)

I've helped others with numerous PC builds, but this is my first one from scratch. So please bear with me here. :)

Jun 25, 2019
So even though my total power draw should never crest ~450W, I still need a 550W power supply because of this? Seems odd and counterintuitive to me.