Power issues w/ R7 2700x

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018
Ok, ty in advance for ur help and answers..so.. I have a asus x470 prime pro mobo and yes R7 2700x . was OCed to 4.0ghz at 1.38 volts. well I was getting random shut downs, I do have corsair RM750x PSU..well. I downclocked back to default turned CPB off , disabled. Ram is OCed at 3200 ...now im checking my 12v rail and it barely changes like supposed to ..well, I have my power settings in Win10 64bit, on AMD Ryzen Balanced, now..i haven't got a random shut down so far...well to note that the power supply ive noticed, gets warm in the back of the case,..any answers of why all the random shut downs , it only would happen like once or twice a week mayb. id b playing diablo 3 and it would just shut down randomly..soo, any conclusion of this ?

Solution
At best, HWiNFO will show you trends, but there's no way software can give you a guaranteed diagnosis of a power supply on it's own.

I would run with the CPU at stock clocks and auto voltages for a while and see if that sorts things out. Unless you can think of a method you can use to cause the issue to happen in short order, it might be a while to troubleshoot this issue, since as you mentioned it only happens a few times a week.

Might be worth loading up Prime 95 for a stress test, or something similar, rather than Diablo, to test your overclock settings. The faster you can destabilize the system, the faster you can track down the cause of it.
Well, one thing for certain is, you're not supposed to use the Ryzen Balanced power plan with Ryzen+ CPUs. That power plan is only for the first gen Ryzen CPUs and will cause worse performance and power usage with the newer generation. You should be running your Ryzen+ CPU using one of the standard Windows power plans.

Run everything at stock for a while and see if the issue goes away. If it does, it's related to your settings. Change them one at a time to see which one is the problem.

1.38 actually sounds a bit low to me for an all-core overclock. Ryzen+ CPUs usually end up running in the 1.4 - 1.5 V range when boosting all cores to high frequencies.

Off the top of my head:

You don't mention what graphics card you're running or whether you have high frame rates going on in your game, but I suspect Diablo 3 isn't too much of an issue for your GPU unless it's mid to low tier. If it's a high end card, it's very likely the CPU is working more because of a high frame rate that you may not even be seeing, causing power usage of the CPU to spike. If your voltage is too low for the CPU under certain conditions, I could imagine you might bump into the black screen Ryzen issue, or perhaps a power down. Running without your overclock on the CPU might sort it, as the CPU will probably perform the same boosting using high voltages than you're allowing.

You don't mention how you are checking your 12 V rail for stability. This really has to be done with something like an oscilloscope for any sort of accuracy, so good luck with that. Software isn't going to cut it and a multimeter or volt meter is going to be way too slow to show you what's actually happening at the sub-second level.

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

yea sorry bout not mentioning GPU etc..

asus 1060 6gb
fps in diablo is like 120+ range mayb more in sum cases
I just use HWinfo for 12v rail checking, have multimeter, but haven't checked it yet on it
I do have clocks at stock now. which is 3.7, ram is at 3200 OC though , stock 2133..
additional power setting in Win10 are AMD Ryzen Balanced - Min %5 Max %100

if I missed anything lemme know

At best, HWiNFO will show you trends, but there's no way software can give you a guaranteed diagnosis of a power supply on it's own.

I would run with the CPU at stock clocks and auto voltages for a while and see if that sorts things out. Unless you can think of a method you can use to cause the issue to happen in short order, it might be a while to troubleshoot this issue, since as you mentioned it only happens a few times a week.

Might be worth loading up Prime 95 for a stress test, or something similar, rather than Diablo, to test your overclock settings. The faster you can destabilize the system, the faster you can track down the cause of it.

Solution

poopstains82

Proper
Jul 6, 2018

yea good answer , I have ran a few stress tests. gpu and cpu, running ok, so far. valley, super, prime95 and cinebench, so far so good. but I will run and test it for awhile, see how things go