[SOLVED] Power Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblackmd

Honorable
Mar 20, 2018
I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum. I have quite a complex system, which I use mainly for 3D rendering. On a positive note, I am able to run 4 GPU's, 3090X3 and 2080 Ti X1 without difficulty from the standpoint of the computer. However, when going full bore it blows the circuit breaker for the room. I have the rig connected to a battery backup, and if the render takes 5-10 minutes, the battery shows it being used as the draw is more than the wiring in the room can take. The issue is on batch renders, if each of the renders takes 15-20 minutes. Every time it gears up for a render, the backup shows the battery life lower and lower until the circuit breaker goes.

I am assuming the the answer to this issue rests in rewiring the room to allow for installation of a larger breaker. Beyond that, are there any simpler solutions?

My system:
PSU - Corsair AX1600i
MB - Designare TRx4
GPU - 3090, 2080Ti

External Enclosure:

PSU - EVGA 1300W

GPU - 3090x2

Ralston18

Titan
Installing a larger breaker may only delay tripping. And that delay may be long enough for some wire to start burning.

That will not end well.....

You need a professional electrician to check and evaluate the existing circuit, its breaker, the UPS, and the overall load on the circuit.

All the more so as there has been multiple trips. Something could be getting worse.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
As a "temporary fix" to the issue, you should pull a heavy gauge extension cord from a known different circuit and connect a couple of the peripherals (such as external GPU) to that to reduce load on a single circuit.

Beyond that, I echo Ralston above. You need to contact a professional electrician to come and install whatever physical cable/equipment you need in order to support this load. This is an extreme fire hazard from overheated wire, as well as the danger to your equipment. Circuit breakers are a safety net that you are ignoring in current use case.

jblackmd

Honorable
Mar 20, 2018
Installing a larger breaker may only delay tripping. And that delay may be long enough for some wire to start burning.

That will not end well.....

You need a professional electrician to check and evaluate the existing circuit, its breaker, the UPS, and the overall load on the circuit.

All the more so as there has been multiple trips. Something could be getting worse.

That's my gut impression. I wasn't about to just put in a bigger breaker. I just didn't know if there was a device to handle the overload temporarily, which it looks like my battery is doing. I guess I could get a bigger battery. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.