Question Power Keeps Cutting Off - Which Component Is To Blame?

goldensun87

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2012
Ok so, I have been having this problem since the first of December 2019. I was scrolling Instagram, and suddenly my screen went black. No BSOD, just straight black. I tried powering off by holding down the case power button, but that was not working, and I had to flip the PSU switch. This was my build when the problem first started:

Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard - Gigabyte 970A-UD3
CPU - AMD FX 8350 8-Core 4.0 GHz
GPU - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970
RAM - 16 GB DDR3 (2 x 8 GB)
Storage Device - Western Digital 4 TB Black
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste
PSU - Antec 620W High Current Gamer Semi-Modular
Monitor - LG 22"
OS - Windows 7 64-Bit
Case Fans - Cooler Master Megaflow 200 (Top), Cooler Master 120mm (Rear), Cooler Master Megaflow 200 (Front)
Optical Drives - DVD-RW Writer (SATA), BD-RW Writer (SATA)
Sound Card - Asus Xonar DSX PCI-e x1
SD/microSD/USB 2.0 port - 3.5" add-on installed into 5.25" external bay with 3.5"-to-5.25" bay adaptor (USB 2.0 header)

First, I thought it was the HDD. I took it out and tried to plug it into my old laptop. When the HDD would not turn on, I thought the HDD was the culprit. Also, my mobo was refusing to pass POST. So, I did a clean install on a new 2 TB HDD. The system seemed to run ok for about 3 weeks. Then, the power cut off again, while the CPU was at maybe 80% load. Once again, the mobo was refusing to pass POST (no beep). I knew it wasn't the HDD this time, so I tried removing the CPU fan and cleaning it. After I plugged the fan in again, the mobo passed POST. This time, I tested the stability of the system, by doing a video encoding job, which puts the CPU at near full-load during the duration of the encoding. It was a short job, so the encoding was able to finish, but while the CPU was at full load, I realized that the CPU fan was shaking/twitching every now and then. Immediately after the encoding job was finished, the power cut off again. Now, I have to mention, that the PSU is never fully dying. So, I'm guessing the motherboard BIOS is somehow losing power/shutting down? Anyway, since I realized the CPU fan had become faulty, I got the fan replaced. The mobo passed POST, and I decided to try not stressing the system too much, so that I could get some of my pending tasks done (mostly transferring personal data off to portable HDDs). The system ran ok for a few days, until one day, while I was doing my data backup, I was watching a video, and the power cut off again. The video was nothing heavy considering the CPU being used, just a gameplay video recorded at 1080p 60 fps, and compressed down to H.264 12Mbps. Anyway, this time, the mobo would not pass POST no matter what I tried (unplugging/replugging fans, discharging current from system, etc.). So, given how the circumstance appeared, I had to purchase a new motherboard. Unfortunately, since my mobo's CPU socket is now obsolete, and the fact that new motherboards cannot use my DDR3 RAM, I also had to buy a new CPU and new DDR4 RAM. And since I was using a new motherboard, I also had to reinstall my OS.

After getting all that done, the problem was STILL present. At this point, the HDD, CPU fan, motherboard, CPU, and RAM are ruled out as possible causes. So, I bought and installed a new PSU. But, even after that, the problem is still happening. Now, by this point, I realized that my two 200mm fans, get quite loud, and of all the fans I currently have installed, they are the only old ones remaining. So, I unplug those two fans, and my rear case fan which was bought with the new CPU fan, I leave on (I have to have at least one case fan on). The mobo BIOS power still cuts off, and the system restarts. And, as it was since the beginning, no BSODs.

The only major component left is the GPU. Thankfully, I kept my old GTX 660 Ti, so I swap that in to see if the problem stops. But nope, mobo BIOS is still losing power and restarting.

At this point, I honestly believe that my power surge might have gone bad. The only old PC hardware components remaining, are the two optical drives, a USB header multi-card reader, the monitor, the sound card, and the desktop case itself. The DVD Writer is from 2011, and I had transferred it from an HP desktop. The case, Bluray Writer, and multi-card reader are from 2012, which is when I first assembled this rig. And the sound card is only from 2017. The optical drives are/were rarely used before the problem started, the multi-card reader I currently use regularly, but only for microSD cards. And the case's front panel USB ports, headphone jack and front panel connectors are still functioning normally, so I don't see how the case could be the problem.

Here is my current build:

Case - Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
Motherboard - Gigabyte B450 AORUS Elite
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core 12-Thread
GPU - NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970
RAM - 16 GB DDR4 (2 x 8 GB)
Storage Device - Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB
CPU Cooler - AMD Wraith Cooler with Arctic Cooling MX-4 Thermal Paste
PSU - Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W Fully Modular
Monitor - LG 22"
OS - Windows 7 64-Bit
Case Fans - Cooler Master Megaflow 200 (Top), Cooler Master 120mm (Rear), Cooler Master Megaflow 200 (Front)
Optical Drives - DVD-RW Writer (SATA), BD-RW Writer (SATA)
Sound Card - Asus Xonar DSX PCI-e x1
SD/microSD/USB 2.0 port - 3.5" add-on installed into 5.25" external bay with 3.5"-to-5.25" bay adaptor (USB 2.0 header)

Could either the PSU's wall outlet cable, or the monitor's DVI-D cable, be the culprit? The DVI-D cable is newer, but the PSU outlet cable is the same one I have been using since 2012, I haven't started using the Seasonic PSU's provided AC power cord.

P.S. : My parents also use this computer, but my mother only watches Youtube videos and occasionally checks Accuweather, and my father watches Youtube videos and plays one DVD per day, using the DVD Writer. The system power never cuts off while they are doing these things. But, when I try doing my stuff, the sytem power cuts off usually while I am doing something as minimal as navigating files with Windows Explorer.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS