[SOLVED] POWER KERNEL 41 ERROR

DCNOS18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
Hey guys, I rarely post on here unless I have gave up on my options as I'm a pretty seasoned computer builder. Anyways, Over the past couple of days, I have had a total of 5 power kernel 41 errors and my computer will just shut off and restart. I have been running the same overclock settings for many many months with maybe 1 or two crashes total but to rule it out completely, I have removed the overclock and set the power limit to 85. I have had this issue of random restarts before, and it was solved by replacing my PSU. I'm on my 4th PSU over the past 5 years. I have the most recent minidump, and this crash occurred essentially at idle with my stock GPU settings. I ran chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow which repaired some things but the problem still persists. I have a nagging thought our electricity into the home, or at least on that breaker, is far from clean. I am told for our area it is 8%, which is pretty high but I have no way of verifying this but suspect this could be the underlying issue at play. I HAVErecently started crypto mining on my 1080, and first noticed this problem again when I woke up in the morning and found my computer had restarted. I'm not sure how this would cause this. My build is pretty old and want to build a new one but for now I just have to finish my last semester of EE, which means having a reliable computer for matlab and such. Please ask any questions you have. I have been having other issues (possibly unrelated) with my windows as well such as 30 second long BIOS boot time.

Specs of comp:

CPU: i5 6600k @4.5GHz, (on water, been running stable for years)
GPU: STRIX 1080 A8G
RAM: corsair vengeance RGB PRO 32gb (16x2, 3600 cl 18)
MB: Maximus VIII Hero
PSU: CX750M (was sick of RMAing my ax860i for the 3rd time)
SSD: 1tb 970 evo and 512gb 960 evo in pcie extension

I will update this post if I see any new patterns of what currently sets it off, but for now it really seems random.

dmp drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ELZBzVI1d4jaKXNBLE1TNHex5OtnKtIK/view?usp=sharing

UPDATE: it seems to only crash when mining with nicehash. I have been mining for a few days. When I first started I mined or about 12 hours without any problems but the computer crashed in the middle of the night. Now, even after two minutes it seems to crash.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey guys, I rarely post on here unless I have gave up on my options as I'm a pretty seasoned computer builder. Anyways, Over the past couple of days, I have had a total of 5 power kernel 41 errors and my computer will just shut off and restart. I have been running the same overclock settings for many many months with maybe 1 or two crashes total but to rule it out completely, I have removed the overclock and set the power limit to 85. I have had this issue of random restarts before, and it was solved by replacing my PSU. I'm on my 4th PSU over the past 5 years. I have the most recent minidump, and this crash occurred essentially at idle with my stock GPU settings. I ran chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow which repaired some things but...
Hey guys, I rarely post on here unless I have gave up on my options as I'm a pretty seasoned computer builder. Anyways, Over the past couple of days, I have had a total of 5 power kernel 41 errors and my computer will just shut off and restart. I have been running the same overclock settings for many many months with maybe 1 or two crashes total but to rule it out completely, I have removed the overclock and set the power limit to 85. I have had this issue of random restarts before, and it was solved by replacing my PSU. I'm on my 4th PSU over the past 5 years. I have the most recent minidump, and this crash occurred essentially at idle with my stock GPU settings. I ran chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow which repaired some things but the problem still persists. I have a nagging thought our electricity into the home, or at least on that breaker, is far from clean. I am told for our area it is 8%, which is pretty high but I have no way of verifying this but suspect this could be the underlying issue at play. I HAVErecently started crypto mining on my 1080, and first noticed this problem again when I woke up in the morning and found my computer had restarted. I'm not sure how this would cause this. My build is pretty old and want to build a new one but for now I just have to finish my last semester of EE, which means having a reliable computer for matlab and such. Please ask any questions you have. I have been having other issues (possibly unrelated) with my windows as well such as 30 second long BIOS boot time.

Specs of comp:

I will update this post if I see any new patterns of what currently sets it off, but for now it really seems random.

dmp drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ELZBzVI1d4jaKXNBLE1TNHex5OtnKtIK/view?usp=sharing

UPDATE: it seems to only crash when mining with nicehash. I have been mining for a few days. When I first started I mined or about 12 hours without any problems but the computer crashed in the middle of the night. Now, even after two minutes it seems to crash.
Just to get some basic stuff out of the way.
Can of air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Don't forget the psu....a few shots of air from both directions.

Run a pass of memtest86....no errors allowed.

DCNOS18

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2014
No errors on memtest86. Super random, but I disabled all audio drivers and so far no crashes when mining. Ill report back in the morning because I didn't have crashes before until i left it running overnight. Hopefully this workaround fixed it but hopefully I can figure out how to get it working WITH the audio working as well. Very weird issue

Specs of comp:

Most often issue is PSU or the video card crashing with that error. Since you are using it for mining and putting that much stress on the card, if you want your card and/or PSU to live longer, stop mining with the card you have. Other option, replace the card and/or PSU with a higher end model and see if that fixes the errors. Maybe underclocking the video card may help to reduce the stress on it.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
its actually an event - not an error in itself - its recording the fact windows restarted and it was unexpected, meaning windows doesn't know why it restarted. Often they can be attached to bugchecks but as you don't mention BSOD, it might not have been one. Can be PSU but it doesn't always mean it is. Not arguing in this case, just pointing out its not an error.

gardenman

Splendid
The bugcheck was VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR.

3 overclocking drivers installed. Even if you're not overclocked, these can still "tweak" things.
  • The GPU tweaking driver "iomap64.sys" was found on your system. (AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2 or Armoury Crate)
  • The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)
  • The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys" was found on your system. (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility)
Full dump results: https://jsfiddle.net/3m149pfw/show

The nicehash driver "app_nhm.sys" doesn't have a good reputation according to a quick Google search.

There are BIOS updates available for your motherboard, but I wouldn't update it just yet. Wait for more info first. Be sure that's the right motherboard and never do BIOS updates when you might potentially lose power.