Question Power light working but nothing else after GPU change

Gary Caine

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Im replacing a GPU because my old one died. Having the same problem with the new one however.

When I press the power button the power light on the board is already on and the power supply comes on for a fraction and so does the error light on the board but that is all. No warning lights or anything. No fans spinning.

Any idea what could be wrong, please?

I dont have much money and I really need my PC so I can do work to feed my family. So any help would be REALLY appreciated.

Gary Caine

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model.
When you say your old one died, what exactly happened?

CPU: AMD FX 8350
MOBO: ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0
RAM: Corsair Platinum1800 X 16GB
SUPPLY: EVGA 750 GQ

NEW GPU: MSI Vega 56 8GB.
OLD GPU: Sapphire AMD 480 8GB

There isn't really much to say on the history front. Although of course I am willing to do my best to help you to help me so to speak.

My old GPU was getting hot in summer so I bought an after market cooler for it. However when I plugged the GPU back in the PC was practically dead like it is now. Thought it may be GPU related so I got a new one but the rig is still having the same issue.

Power light and keyboard are lighting up but no fans apart from the power supply for a fraction of a second and same with the lights. The red error light comes on for a fraction too then goes off. Cant hear if there are any beeps but then again I've never had a speaker on it an not sure if it has one onboard or not.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well actually I have full time work and come onto the forums voluntarily, and when i do, I'm often answering a lot of peoples questions, as well as PMs. So I apologise for that, but I hope you can understand why. I want to help where I can :)

Ultimately, that would and should have been the first question to ask anyway, as without full specs it can be much harder to identify your issue. I did not intentionally leave this thread :) specs are the upmost important element as we have to know your current system to identify where potential shortfalls can come from.

How long have you had the PSU?
I would cover each and everyone of these steps to make sure nothing became disconnected or shifted during the change: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Did you change absolutely anything else during the GPU swap? Did you have to move or temporarily change anything else?
I would also question if the PSU is fully functional. Do you have any spare components to test?

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Whats the point is just asking for specs then not helping. Specs wasnt important anyway. Now people just think the question had a reply thats helped.

Patience is a virtue and respect is compulsory. You are being helped here by volunteers with real lives, day jobs, etc. They are not your personal tech support and can't just jump on and answer you the moment you reply. If you need such immediate help, then i suggest bringing your system to a qualified repair technician. Otherwise work with those whom are replying here in a manner respectful that they are helping you on their spare time, for free.

TRENDING THREADS