[SOLVED] Power Limit Exceeded On Wake

Oct 24, 2019
I have a 9700k that I just overclocked the turbo to 5ghz on all cores with an MSI Z390m motherboard. Everything seems fine and stable after a few tests and games, but I noticed that in HWiNFO64 whenever I wake the computer up from sleep now all of the Core # Power Limit Exceeded as well as Package/Ring Power Limit Exceeded errors have Yes as their maximum value, when they were No when I put the computer to sleep. So my guess is that the CPU is drawing more power when waking than during heavy usage/load. Would this be a correct assumption, or could it be a sign that I messed something up in the BIOS?

Solution
I could not find such a setting.

Though I've been wondering, if the max power errors are ONLY tripping during wake, which happens at most a couple of times per day, then would it be okay to just ignore it? I mean, they just mean that the CPU is hitting its power limits but not exceeding them, correct?
yeah you should be fine as long as the cpu temps seem normal like 30-50 degree celsius for small tasks, and under 85 degrees Celcius under load, it should be fine

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
I have a 9700k that I just overclocked the turbo to 5ghz on all cores with an MSI Z390m motherboard. Everything seems fine and stable after a few tests and games, but I noticed that in HWiNFO64 whenever I wake the computer up from sleep now all of the Core # Power Limit Exceeded as well as Package/Ring Power Limit Exceeded errors have Yes as their maximum value, when they were No when I put the computer to sleep. So my guess is that the CPU is drawing more power when waking than during heavy usage/load. Would this be a correct assumption, or could it be a sign that I messed something up in the BIOS?
do you have c states turned on in your bios? if not then turn it on because it never affects your overclock from my experience. It saves you like 10-20 watts idle and should keep the power drawn in check.

Oct 24, 2019
do you have c states turned on in your bios? if not then turn it on because it never affects your overclock from my experience. It saves you like 10-20 watts idle and should keep the power drawn in check.
I have it turned off because everything I've researched about OCing says to do so as one of the first things when overclocking, but I will turn it back on real quick and see if that helps.

Edit: Unfortunately that didn't fix it. Though nothing negative seems to have resulted from turning it back on the power limits are still being exceeded on wake.

Last edited:

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
I have it turned off because everything I've researched about OCing says to do so as one of the first things when overclocking, but I will turn it back on real quick and see if that helps.

Edit: Unfortunately that didn't fix it. Though nothing negative seems to have resulted from turning it back on the power limits are still being exceeded on wake.
do you have an option in your bios called power supply idle control? if so turn it on low power and see if this makes your overclock unstable

Oct 24, 2019
do you have an option in your bios called power supply idle control? if so turn it on low power and see if this makes your overclock unstable

Though I've been wondering, if the max power errors are ONLY tripping during wake, which happens at most a couple of times per day, then would it be okay to just ignore it? I mean, they just mean that the CPU is hitting its power limits but not exceeding them, correct?

Kracken2342

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019

yeah you should be fine as long as the cpu temps seem normal like 30-50 degree celsius for small tasks, and under 85 degrees Celcius under load, it should be fine

Solution
Oct 24, 2019
Thank you for all the help. No sense in spending too much time and fiddling with too many unnecessary settings just to fix a tertiary warning. Other than that the temps are fine and the OC is exactly what I've been looking for.

TRENDING THREADS