[SOLVED] Power limit throttling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2020
I have an i7 6700 Hq 3.10 GHz, and my laptop which is a dell precision 3510, I am having an issue with my CPU it is always power limit throttling, my temps are fine reaching around 78° c
but my CPU is constantly power throttling, and because of that my CPU's clock speed is decreasing which lowers my performance while gaming. Can someone pls help??

Here is the link of the picture = https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R8FMGFhW8NpXW5IJpcqcY0uNGFAk936R/view?usp=sharing

Solution
- Use original charger, replacement chargers can have this issue on dell.

- Download HWinfo and open sensors tab ( you can also look sensors with aida64 free trial that shows more sometimes), look for all the temperature sensors, and meanwhile benchmark / stress test both your cpu and gpu to 99% load. Do you see any sensor like vrm vram,pch etc get super hot?
This might cause the power throttling even when it says on intel xtu its not temperature related
The sensors might be called something else like "ambient" etc.

- Do a RTC reset and test your power throttling after : https://www.dell.com/support/articl...-to-recover-your-dell-portable-system?lang=en

-What is your sata mode in...
You might be able to tweak (a little) in intel XTU , in that pic you send turn "turbo boost short power max" from 45 to 60w. Also max out "turbo boost power time window" just slide that one as right as it goes.
From the right side set "turbo boost max power from 45 to 60w"

I see your already running at -150mv underclock which might be causing some stability issues also. I guess you first had temperature throttling and then you tweaked turbo boost multipliers and undervolted cpu core right?

Get hwinfo , open sensors and look for ALL the temperature sensors when your stress testing cpu + gpu. You can test both cpu and gpu same time with aida64 trial (open system ability test and select CPU + GPU)

What charger are you using?

Reactions: Axolyte
Apr 27, 2020
I took a stress test without the under-volt and got 100 in temps!
After that, I took it with the under-volt and to 87, which is lower but still too hot!

You can get better performance with throttlestop using the speedshift but thing is there is noway you can do anything with these temperatures.

Have you thought about replacing the thermal paste? If you do use "thermal grizzly kryonaut" its good non conductive paste and for cleaning isoprophyl alccohol 90%+.
Also for laptop cooling pad i suggest "kootek laptop cooling pad 12 to 17 inch" the 5 fan model.

Remember that replacing thermal paste will void warranty, do on your own risk. There is many videos on youtube about disassemblying and replacing thermal paste.

Thank you for the suggestion I have to change my laptops thermal paste
Even with a high tier paste your looking at MAYBE a 2-3c drop. More like 1 or 2 but Im being generous.

Your cpu is throttling because boosting stops working once a cpu goes over 70c, and boosting works best (at its full potential) only when 60c or lower.

You wont see a high boost at 70c+. Your best bet is to buy an aftermarket cooler. Not really sure whats out there for laptops but I would look into it.

Even with a high tier paste your looking at MAYBE a 2-3c drop. More like 1 or 2 but Im being generous.

Your cpu is throttling because boosting stops working once a cpu goes over 70c, and boosting works best (at its full potential) only when 60c or lower.

You wont see a high boost at 70c+. Your best bet is to buy an aftermarket cooler. Not really sure whats out there for laptops but I would look into it.

That is for amd cpu:s like ryzen, throttling starts usually after 90c for intel mobile cpu:s like i7-6700 Hq. He can also get lowered cpu clockspeeds because of gpu/PCH temperatures (BD Prochot function)

Ive seen up to 20c drop in temperatures when replacing stock paste of many laptops from different manufactors, it depends what they used.

Here is video of the disassembly
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfexSOsd4fI

, this model looks painful to take into parts, its your own risk, do not use anything metallic with the disassemby aside from screwdriver. First remove power cable, After removing backplate FIRST thing to do is remove battery connector from motherboard, then you need alot of patience with the connectors. After you carefully removed the heatsink, clean the fan well with compressed air example. For heatsink and processor / gpu die use q-tips o r cotton wipes dipped into isoprophyl alcohol 90%+, soft cards like credit card are good to get rid of hardened thermal paste, be careful when cleaning, do not use force, use alot of time. You can use plenty of non conductive paste, and best non conductive is thermal grizzly kryonaut, that small tube is enough.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020
I have replaced my thermal paste from my original paste to a new thermal paste which I brought from amazon which is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut which dropped my temps form 78 to 70 but I am still having power limit throttling issues!

You dont need to undervolt anymore so heavily, drop that -150mv down to 75 or 100mv.
Did you try to max out the sliders i was talking about earlier, you can also try to increase processor core iccmax from 120a to 255amps. All of these options are in the same advanced menu.

How much does your clock speed drop when your power throttling, even as low as 800mhz?

Apr 27, 2020
Sorry, but I still have to keep my undervolted at -150mv as if I don't have my temps rise to 86!!
And my core speed drops to 0.90 or some time 0.70 GHz while powerlimit throttling!

- Use original charger, replacement chargers can have this issue on dell.

- Download HWinfo and open sensors tab ( you can also look sensors with aida64 free trial that shows more sometimes), look for all the temperature sensors, and meanwhile benchmark / stress test both your cpu and gpu to 99% load. Do you see any sensor like vrm vram,pch etc get super hot?
This might cause the power throttling even when it says on intel xtu its not temperature related
The sensors might be called something else like "ambient" etc.

- Do a RTC reset and test your power throttling after : https://www.dell.com/support/articl...-to-recover-your-dell-portable-system?lang=en

-What is your sata mode in bios? If its raid then turn it achi :https://support.thinkcritical.com/kb/articles/switch-windows-10-from-raid-ide-to-ahci

- Look dell site for bios updates, you can check your current version with msinfo, update to newest version when your power cable + battery are both plugged in.

- Uninstall both intel xtu and throttlestop (if you already have it installed), then after reboot install throttlestop again. Then do first this guide to unlock power limits
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhXIiBPJseI&feature=youtu.be

After that is done and you have rebooted do the actual undervolting, you can undervolt cpu core and cpu cache, i would use -125mv or so on both, remember to make the task scheduler too:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfIxf73RGEg

Do not install XTU anymore, ONLY have throttlestop installed on your pc, you can use Aida64 for benchmarking and other free benchmarks like unigine.

- Next steps would be using thermal pads to transfer heat better from the chips on the motherboard (if you see any very high temp sensors with aida64 or hwinfo) I have no guide for this exact model you need to open it up, first take off power cable and then battery / battery connector as soon as you can , after that your safe to inspect more carefully. I can give you more info when you first take picture after removing the backplate

- Disable intel dynamic platform and thermal framework, this is not recommended since you will have to redo it again when windows gets updated, unless you disable updates and only do it manually. Another thing is you probably have very high temperature chips on the motherboard so disabling this might be potentially dangerous. If you already did the step before this and checked that everything is properly cooled and your not hitting 90-100c on any sensors under high gpu / cpu load then you can do it safely. : View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/a27e1l/finally_permanently_fixed_dell_inspiron_power/

"the first step only NOTE as of 16/04/202 "

Solution
Apr 27, 2020
I am having a problem from raid to achi, whenever I enter the command in the cmd as Admin it gives me this error = "
Invalid command line switch: /set
Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance.
The parameter is incorrect. "

And one more thing, the RTC reset is not available for my laptop which is a "Dell .Inc Precision 3510!!!"

Pls help!!

Last edited:
You can use these commands.

1. Open cmd and use this command : bcdedit /set safeboot minimal
  2. Reboot STRAIGHT to bios and select from raid to achi, then press f10 to save changes
  3. Open CMD and use command : bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
  4. Reboot and you get into normal windows

Status
Not open for further replies.