[SOLVED] Power Limit Throttling

yaniv382

Reputable
Jun 6, 2017
Hi everyone i just got a new motherboard (gigabyte B365 M AORUS ELITE)
and i am having an issue, i noticed the cpu clock always drops when it is being used for example playing a game runnning a benchmark/stress
so i've tried to benchmark with intel extreme tuning utility and it showed event of "Power Limit Throttling"
this happens litteraly whenever any benchmark starts, the cpu clock drops from 4.3ghz to 3.5

the thing is that everything worked perfectly with my old motherboard (msi h310m)

i just wanted to upgrade my motherboard for future upgrades like nvme etc
nothing has changed my psu is still good it's 500Watt the cpu is kept very cool

- things i've tried: using bios default settings, disabling any power saving features speedstep etc, maximizing VR limit settings in bios, using performance profile on windows 10 power managment

i am being frustrated i really need help thanks everyone in advance.

Solution
it's just that i need to backup 700gb of data and then move it again
This data should be backed up all the time anyway.
Doubly so when changing hardware.

700GB? Trivial.
Is your data worth $40?

What happens in the BIOS may or may not be related to the old OS, but trying to use that old OS with the new hardware just adds another layer of potential issues.

yaniv382

Reputable
Jun 6, 2017
Someone suggested me i should raise "Turbo boost max power "
the thing is that this option is missing on my motherboard probably incompetible bios with non K cpu or something, i have raised the limit using intel extreme tuning utility and it fixed the issue
thanks for the replies

yaniv382

Reputable
Jun 6, 2017
But you didn't do the OS reinstall, as recommended?
i did not do it yet since it requires me to backup alot of files but i will reinstall for sure
as for the issue i think it was only because the motherboard automatically limited the max power to 65W with no option to modify it in the bios.

USAFRet

Titan
i did not do it yet since it requires me to backup alot of files but i will reinstall for sure
as for the issue i think it was only because the motherboard automatically limited the max power to 65W with no option to modify it in the bios.
Yet you just slapped all the new parts together, with no backup of your data.

You're actually quite lucky here. A common outcome is no boot at all.
You emerged with just limited functionality.

yaniv382

Reputable
Jun 6, 2017
Yet you just slapped all the new parts together, with no backup of your data.

You're actually quite lucky here. A common outcome is no boot at all.
You emerged with just limited functionality.

I have the tools and knowledge to get the data from storage without an operating system
but you're right i should've installed fresh os

by the way i dont understand how a misssing function in the bios is connected to the operating system

USAFRet

Titan
This data should be backed up all the time anyway.
Doubly so when changing hardware.

700GB? Trivial.
Is your data worth $40?

What happens in the BIOS may or may not be related to the old OS, but trying to use that old OS with the new hardware just adds another layer of potential issues.

Reactions: yaniv382
Solution