Question Power limit throttling ?

Feb 19, 2024
Hi everyone , I just got a secondhand PC:

Mobo: Gigabyte B760M GAMING
CPU: 13600KF
RAM: 16GB x 2 DDR4
PSU: 750W

When I run Cinebench 23 , first time 24000, but run 10 mins test , it shows 23000 . So I use XTU . XTU shows power limit throttling after 5 minutes test . So is the problem the motherboard or the power ?

Is it because the power supply capacity of this motherboard is not enough , I need to replace it with a better motherboard, likeZ790 ? or is there a quality problem with this motherboard in my hand ? So i should send it to the factory to fix it?

When you run cinnebench it will most times either hit a power limit or a thermal limit.
I am unsure what you can change using a "B" chipset motherboard with a "K" series cpu.
On cpu like 13900k you can set the p1/p2 numbers to unlimited and the cpu chip will then hit the 100c thermal limit instead.
Generally you increase the powerlimit and then try to increase the clocks.

I don't know why your cinnebench numbers are so different between runs but the power limit is a normal thing just check that p1/p2 values are set to the factory defaults for a 13600k unless you plan to overclock it.

According to benchmarks 23400 is normal, so it could just be your cooler being saturated after/within 10min because the CPU can only draw as much power as the cooler allows it to.
Your score is fine so I wouldn't change anything, increasing the cooling will only make it use more power while the benefits will be almost nothing.
CB23_1r.png

it could just be your cooler being saturated
Intel XTU is not reporting thermal throttling. It is reporting power limit throttling.

So is the problem the motherboard or the power ?
Intel CPUs are controlled by two power limits, PL1 and PL2. At default settings, all Intel CPUs are designed to run at a fixed period of time at the higher PL2 power limit before switching to the lower long term PL1 power limit. The PL1 power limit prevents the CPU from reaching maximum performance. That is why your Cinebench scores decrease.

Have a look in the BIOS for the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits. PL1 is probably set to 125W and PL2 is usually set to 181W. When PL1 is set to 125W, that will cause power limit throttling during a 10 minute Cinebench test.

As long as you have adequate cooling, you can set these two power limits to any values you like. Many motherboards will have an Unlimited setting in the BIOS. This sets both power limits to the max, 4095W. That is like setting the limbo bar 10 feet high. No more worries about power limit throttling. This setting will not force your CPU to consume 4095W. It just tells the CPU that when power consumption gets high, there is no reason to power limit throttle.

Setting PL1 and PL2 both to 300W or both to 200W might be enough for a 13600KF. You cannot overclock an unlocked K series CPU on a motherboard with the B760 chipset. Maximum power consumption when running a 13600KF on a B760 motherboard will be less compared to a 13600KFthat is overclocked on a Z790 motherboard.

If the PL1 and PL2 power settings are not available in the BIOS, you can try using Intel XTU to increase these power limits. Sometimes Intel XTU blocks some features like power limit adjustment when you are not using a Z series motherboard. If that is the case, you can use ThrottleStop 9.6 to adjust the turbo power limits.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Push the ThrottleStop TPL button, check the MMIO Lock box, clear the Disable Controls check box and set the two power limits however you like.

g3OLR71.png

Feb 19, 2024
Intel XTU is not reporting thermal throttling. It is reporting power limit throttling.

Intel CPUs are controlled by two power limits, PL1 and PL2. At default settings, all Intel CPUs are designed to run at a fixed period of time at the higher PL2 power limit before switching to the lower long term PL1 power limit. The PL1 power limit prevents the CPU from reaching maximum performance. That is why your Cinebench scores decrease.

Have a look in the BIOS for the PL1 and PL2 turbo power limits. PL1 is probably set to 125W and PL2 is usually set to 181W. When PL1 is set to 125W, that will cause power limit throttling during a 10 minute Cinebench test.

As long as you have adequate cooling, you can set these two power limits to any values you like. Many motherboards will have an Unlimited setting in the BIOS. This sets both power limits to the max, 4095W. That is like setting the limbo bar 10 feet high. No more worries about power limit throttling. This setting will not force your CPU to consume 4095W. It just tells the CPU that when power consumption gets high, there is no reason to power limit throttle.

Setting PL1 and PL2 both to 300W or both to 200W might be enough for a 13600KF. You cannot overclock an unlocked K series CPU on a motherboard with the B760 chipset. Maximum power consumption when running a 13600KF on a B760 motherboard will be less compared to a 13600KFthat is overclocked on a Z790 motherboard.

If the PL1 and PL2 power settings are not available in the BIOS, you can try using Intel XTU to increase these power limits. Sometimes Intel XTU blocks some features like power limit adjustment when you are not using a Z series motherboard. If that is the case, you can use ThrottleStop 9.6 to adjust the turbo power limits.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Push the ThrottleStop TPL button, check the MMIO Lock box, clear the Disable Controls check box and set the two power limits however you like.

g3OLR71.png

Hi , Thanks a lot !
I set the power limit 300W in BIOS . Run the test , XTU does not show power limit throttling.
The 10min test score got 23561 . It is much better than the old score 22000 or 23000.

I have another question.
I have heard WINDOWS10 having problems scheduling large and small cores? I'm familiar with using Windows 10 . Should I must use Windows 11 ? Sorry my bad English . I use translatio write this .
53540316607_e0fb01f187_c.jpg
53541622450_9a9968ac65_c.jpg
53541197741_3f1563b719_c.jpg

I have heard WINDOWS10 having problems scheduling large and small cores?
Windows 10 does not work correctly with Intel 12th Gen and newer CPUs that have both P & E cores. Windows 10 will sometimes schedule tasks on the slower E cores when these tasks should be running on one of the faster P cores.

Only Windows 11 understands P & E cores.

I am not sure the p/e core scheduling really matters when you are talking cinebench it tries to max every core. Now actual applications it sometimes makes a difference but it seems to work most the time even in window10

Feb 19, 2024
I am not sure the p/e core scheduling really matters when you are talking cinebench it tries to max every core. Now actual applications it sometimes makes a difference but it seems to work most the time even in window10
Actual I use excel in work and play some games like dota2 Final Fantasy or others . So does it matter use 10 or 11?