[SOLVED] Power Line - but how to boost wifi using power line ? whats the best path to follow ?

ciellis

Commendable
Mar 14, 2018
We have a weak wifi connection in our converted garage / work space.

I have a power line adapter working in there to provide a wired connection but what is the best path to follow in terms of boosting the wifi connection.

I know roughly about potentially putting the lan cable from the power line into a basic switch but what then ? is this correct ?

i am not technical so if someone could link to specific products that would be helpful.

Thank you.

Solution

I have a power line adapter working in there to provide a wired connection but what is the best path to follow in terms of boosting the wifi connection.

I know roughly about potentially putting the lan cable from the power line into a basic switch but what then ? is this correct ?

i am not technical so if someone could link to specific products that would be helpful.

Thank you.
The simplest way to add WIFI is to use an old WIFI router as an access point. A router provides a switch and a WIFI signal. Asus routers have a simple 1-button toggle to access point mode. Cheap option is a RT-N56U (about $20 on E-Bay) A higher performance option would be an...

kanewolf

Titan

Thank you.
The simplest way to add WIFI is to use an old WIFI router as an access point. A router provides a switch and a WIFI signal. Asus routers have a simple 1-button toggle to access point mode. Cheap option is a RT-N56U (about $20 on E-Bay) A higher performance option would be an RT-AC68U (but NOT the T-Mobile version) .

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

ciellis

Commendable
Mar 14, 2018
Hello,

I followed your suggestion and i bought an RT N65U.
ASUS RT-N65U 750 Mbps 4-Port Gigabit Wireless N Router

I dont know how to just have it as a switch ?

When i plugged it in, somehow my sons pc which is in the upstairs bedroom moved over to "network 4" which seemed to be picking up the asus router in the downstairs extension. This meant that although it said internet connection it would not actually load any pages in the browser.

I had to unplug it and that reconnected the upstairs pc to network 3 which is the main internet connection using the router in our living room.

Thank you.