[SOLVED] Power line ethernet connection is slow and inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggster99

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
Hello, so i have a question about power line ethernet. We have 300Mb/s wifi speed on our modem which is in the garage.
I have a power line adapter sticking in the outlet at the modem and 1 in my room upstairs.
i'd say my room is about 10-15m from the modem. I only get 10-20Mb/s max on ethernet in my room. This can drop down to 1-5Mb/s randomly while no other devices in the house are working more than usual.
Is the 10-20Mb/s max normal for power line? i'd like to be able to get more because it's slowing down everything i do. A UTP cable plug isn't an option btw.

If anyone has a solution/tip to make the ethernet connection faster, i'd love to hear it!
Thanks in advance!

Solution
With powerline ethernet you get what you get. Your house wiring plays a central role here. If the signal has to route through a breaker panel on its way to you then there will be degradation. This is clearly stated in the documentation for your devices. Fastest will ALWAYS be an ethernet cable wired straight to the device.
With powerline ethernet you get what you get. Your house wiring plays a central role here. If the signal has to route through a breaker panel on its way to you then there will be degradation. This is clearly stated in the documentation for your devices. Fastest will ALWAYS be an ethernet cable wired straight to the device.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution
Yep, I've seen this before as well. The newer powerlines are much better at getting around this issue, so if you have an older kit, the only solution is to try a newer one.

If you have a coax line in your room, the moca is an option and it will be much faster than powerline.

Status
Not open for further replies.