[SOLVED] Power line ethernet connection on desktop worse than on Laptop

Hoggster99

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
Hello, i have a quick question which is annoying me quite a bit.
My desktop is connected via an ethernet cable in a power line adapter. I usually get around 10-15Mb/s download speed (which is way lower than it should be).
So i tried connecting my laptop to the same power line adapter using the same ethernet cable, and I get around 50Mb/s download speed which is way better.
Does anyone have an explanation for this? I really need faster internet on my desktop so i was really confused on how it has 2 different speeds using the same ethernet connection.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
This makes you suspect the PC but it still could be the cable. Cables are really strange sometimes when they go bad. I would buy a quality cat5e cable and try that. Make sure it is not CCA cable or that flat or thin cable.

After this you start to blame the pc. It could be hardware but you hope it is some strange setting in windows doing it. I would try to a linux USB boot image. This will let you test your hardware on a different OS without impacting your current install.

If this too has issues then you need to get a add in ethernet card.
Open Settings in Windows 10 and open Network & Internet.
Click on Ethernet on the left column and then go to “Change adapter options” on the right panel.

Select your adapter, open the advanced tab.
Scroll down to speed and duplex setting
Its likely on auto negotiate.
Change it to the highest full duplex setting
Which will be 1gbps full duplex if your adapter is gigabit and 100mbps full duplex if its 10/100

This may help.

Hoggster99

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
Open Settings in Windows 10 and open Network & Internet.
Click on Ethernet on the left column and then go to “Change adapter options” on the right panel.

Select your adapter, open the advanced tab.
Scroll down to speed and duplex setting
Its likely on auto negotiate.
Change it to the highest full duplex setting
Which will be 1gbps full duplex if your adapter is gigabit and 100mbps full duplex if its 10/100

This may help.

Thank you for the suggestion but it didn't change after setting it to 100mbps full duplex. It's starting to annoy me now :p

My desktop is connected via an ethernet cable in a power line adapter.
The cause is clearly described here. If parts of computer network are connected by power line then network performance in these parts become quite affected by electrical wiring quality in building. Extra switchboxes and interference will plunder network speed very noticeably so don't be surprised about 15 Mbps instead of promised 300. Better install regular CAT5e Ethernet cable instead.

Hoggster99

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
The cause is clearly described here. If parts of computer network are connected by power line then network performance in these parts become quite affected by electrical wiring quality in building. Extra switchboxes and interference will plunder network speed very noticeably so don't be surprised about 15 Mbps instead of promised 300. Better install regular CAT5e Ethernet cable instead.
the cause is not at all "clearly described here". I said in the post that i connected a laptop by switching the ethernet cable from my desktop to my laptop and i got 50Mb/s on there.

I clearly see "So i tried connecting my laptop to the same power line adapter using the same ethernet cable." in your first post. What adapter? Please tell us where exactly you connected your laptop, what is in middle and to what you are connecting in opposite side. Do you have Ethernet over Power line adapter (a device with Ethernet socket, plugged into mains AC wall socket) or wall panel with Ethernet RJ-45 socket? Between them is a big difference. At first case blame your electrical wiring. At second - Ethernet socket in wall panel may be faulty or something is bad with cable behind it or with switch or router at end of cable.

This makes you suspect the PC but it still could be the cable. Cables are really strange sometimes when they go bad. I would buy a quality cat5e cable and try that. Make sure it is not CCA cable or that flat or thin cable.

After this you start to blame the pc. It could be hardware but you hope it is some strange setting in windows doing it. I would try to a linux USB boot image. This will let you test your hardware on a different OS without impacting your current install.

If this too has issues then you need to get a add in ethernet card.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

Hoggster99

Reputable
Mar 8, 2017
I clearly see "So i tried connecting my laptop to the same power line adapter using the same ethernet cable." in your first post. What adapter? Please tell us where exactly you connected your laptop, what is in middle and to what you are connecting in opposite side. Do you have Ethernet over Power line adapter (a device with Ethernet socket, plugged into mains AC wall socket) or wall panel with Ethernet RJ-45 socket? Between them is a big difference. At first case blame your electrical wiring. At second - Ethernet socket in wall panel may be faulty or something is bad with cable behind it or with switch or router at end of cable.
I thought it was pretty obvious. I have my desktop connected to a power line adapter on the wall using an ethernet cable. I unplugged this ethernet cable from my desktop and plugged it in to my laptop and i got better speeds. The problem is i don't have a socket on the wall upstairs and it's almost impossible to get one here.

Seems your desktop Ethernet adapter or networks settings does not work well with EOP adapters you are using now. And wiring configuration in house mess things even more. By the way if you can't install Ethernet cable between first and second floor, why you don't use WiFi?

TRENDING THREADS