Power line VS Wired Ethernet?

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
I've been looking at power line adapters and thinking can power line be the same performance as wired Ethernet? Will it be worse that Wireless? I'm like at least 12 feet away from my router but its downstairs and I dont have Ethernet wired in my home. WiFi Speeds and up are 73 (down) 78 (up). Sometimes it varys which is why I ant a wired for a more stable connection. Ping even varys from 9-12 each speed test.

Solution
The newest av2 powerline units will be about as fast as most wifi...way too many variable to say for sure.

The key advantage powerline has over wifi is that the latency is much more consistent. WiFi is subject to many more sources of interference which is what causes spikes in the latency.

Nothing will compare to a ethernet cable which can run 1gbit up and down with no packet loss.
The newest av2 powerline units will be about as fast as most wifi...way too many variable to say for sure.

The key advantage powerline has over wifi is that the latency is much more consistent. WiFi is subject to many more sources of interference which is what causes spikes in the latency.

Nothing will compare to a ethernet cable which can run 1gbit up and down with no packet loss.

Solution

Jolaoso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015

Your right about way to many variables, the power in your home, how old the wiring is etc. I will probably return it if unhappy like jsmithepa said.