Power loop before post, but if I reset the PSU it boots fine.

JadonP

Reputable
May 1, 2014
As in the title, my computer just recently if I boot it up from a full shutdown starts to power cycle itself repeatedly before hitting the post/BIOS Logo screen until I hard shut it off by holding down the power button, then unplug the PSU, flio the i/o switch then plug it back in. Then it boots fine, no problems at all and runs as good as new.

This is a recent issue; I've recently done a fairly sizable system upgrade, Z97 SABERTOOTH MK1 Motherboard, Intel i7 4790k and G.SKILL Trident X memory. It's run for about two weeks perfectly fine on this setup, so I'm hesitant to call it a new hardware conflict.

I'm thinking... PSU or something motherboard related?

JadonP

Reputable
May 1, 2014

It's an Antec Earthwatts, I can't get the exact serial number at the moment but it's the 650w model. It's about three or four years old though; which is why it's on my suspect list.

JadonP

Reputable
May 1, 2014
If you know how I can test that, I've got a voltmeter, I just have no idea how to tell if a PSU is starting to go bad or if it's related to the MOBO somehow.

If you jump the PSU, you can measure the voltages from the pins referring to this information http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html the voltages should measure within ±5% of the stated voltage on the positive rails and ±10% on the negative rails
Note that that is the most rudimentary of tests and tells nothing about how the voltages are when the PSU is under a load (but it's what we got)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS