Power loss at random intervals

Oct 18, 2018
My computer keeps loosing power i pulled it apart and cant find anything wrong when i did a cpu benchmark test it crashed but the test cam be clean and i did a gpu test but after 2 hours i started playing with my friend and it was fine and the test on my gpu was able to max out all my specs except for voltage it stayed at 85% and today it shut down and wont turn back on but if its like normal i can run it again tomorrow all my chords are good i checked those with a multimeter

Oct 18, 2018
MSI Krait Gaming z270 lga 1151 socket
I-7 7700k lga 1151
2x G.Skill ripjaw ddr4 16gb
msi Duke 1080ti 11gb
Crucial SSD 525gb ggb/s
Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm 128mb buffer
Corsair TX850M
Depcool 240 ex
2 Corsair 120mm fans

I ran Furmark at the basic settings for 2560x1080
Windows 10
No errors or popups

Ralston18

Titan
What power source are you using for your computer?

By that I mean: Wall outlet, surge protector, power bar, UPS? Any extension cables?

Key is to eliminate as many possibilities as you can. If truly a power loss, then the culprit is likely a physical connection issue somewhere along the way.

Oct 18, 2018
i normally have it plugged into a killawat box that monitors the electrical use and that is in a surge protector but ive had power issues when directly plugged into 3 different wall outlets ive also done ohm tests on the power cored and it came out zero after a fresh calibration on a multimeter

Oct 18, 2018
after i turn it back on which normal happens a day after the initial loss my system is hot as if its been running a fps heavy game but drops temperature very quickly when i manually turn the fans to max it sits on a raiser so that there is a clear air flow my main fans suck air in across the liquid cooling radiator and the power supply and gpu suck air from underneath my 2 corsair fans blow all the hot air out the tops i also have filters than i check weekly to prevent dust buildup standard temp across the board is 50C with a 1 degree variation on occasion

Oct 18, 2018
when it does run i have no issues and everything runs smoothly and without any problem other than the random power loss which has happened on games youtube and in idle while i take a shower

Ralston18

Titan
Any issues with other devices on the same electrical circuit?

Pull the surge protector and skip the Kilowatt box.

(Note I have a Kilowatt box and had it inserted for some time. Then, after awhile, the box no longer provided me with any really useful information. Now used only to troubleshoot - not to monitor day after day....)

Eliminate as many possible interruption "sources" as you can - external of the computer itself.

And you mentioned "shower": do you have one of those instant hot water systems on the same electrical circuit as the computer etc.?

You must really work on some process to methodically eliminate possible causes for the power losses.

Focus on external (with respect to the computer) as a starting point.

Oct 18, 2018
the whole of the living room is on the same circuit no other issues water heater is on seperate circuit had same issues in previous house issue remains after moving to this house only other thing on surge protector is monitor and phone chargers no issues there either

Ralston18

Titan
In that case it appear that the power loss issue is following your setup.

Simplify as much as you can to the point where, hopefully, the power losses stop.

Add things back, one at a time, until the problem begins again. Then you will have discovered the culprit.

You mentioned checking the cords with a multimeter.

Consider checking your PSU:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Oct 18, 2018
i did the full check my 24pin and cpu 6pin is within as well as my gpu 6pin is within spec but my sata spec instead of being +12vdc across the board it gives me a +3vdc, +5vdc, and +12vdc across the pins im but these are in spec as if this is the correct voltage and i cant find anything to support that my build is diff then the info given in the link is this correct or not it did however turn on without troubles without my components hooked up to the power supply for testing which normally takes at least 12hrs before it will power on i didnt have anything hooked up though to see what it was doing while i tested the power readings i have my previous 750 power supply i used before i upgraded to the 850 when this prob initially apperared so i can test those readings too

Oct 18, 2018
the readings for the 750 are exactly the same result it occurs to me that since i lack a proper multitool that can read thed end of the 6pin connector that goes into my sata and im reading directly from the power supply it coulld very well explain the difference ram made no difference either wether completely removed or in different slots

Oct 18, 2018
No difference when i pull either of my sata or my gpu how do i tell if its board or chip if i swap the board and its the chip will it damage it or vice versa if its the board and i replace the chip
im leaning towards the board because i havent seen the bios pop up for a couple weeks

Ralston18

Titan
Can you get into BIOS via F2, F10, or the applicable key?

And just to clarify: when there is a power loss it takes 12 hours before the system will boot again? Or "tomorrow" as the case may be.

Not sure what to suggest with regards to the motherboard.

Hopefully someone else following this thread will be able to add some other suggestions.

In the meantime, here is a link from within this forum that you may find interesting:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3608344/psu-12v-rail-outputting-lower-voltage-heavy-load.html

Oct 18, 2018
on average yes 12hrs and bios only comes up after i have it booted and tell the system to reboot into bios otherwise i never see it anymore even though ive told my system to boot the bios first

Ralston18

Titan
Next time you successfully boot take a look in Reliability History.

Search for any errors, warnings, or even informational icons just before or at the time of the power losses.

And likewise look at the history entries immediately after a successful boot. May be some note about something being fixed, started, etc...

Oct 18, 2018
while waiting i had an idea and checked my switches on my case it doesnt have a short but when pressed the power switch reads at 1ohm should i be concerned about this