News Power Mac G4 Gets M.2 SSD Upgrade, Despite 133 MBps PCI Bus Limitation

Apr 23, 2019
...such as graphics boards (yes, since the system is based on a Power processor, it lacks AGP as well).

Uhhh, what? Did the author just completely fail to do the minimal research before writing this article? It's a PowerPC processor, not POWER, and I don't get the implication that it'd prevent AGP. Hell, the later PowerMac G5s did have PCIe. Maybe next time, research before you write...

Executor32

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I applaud the effort, but, why not just use a sata ssd with a sata to ide adapter board? It'll still be way faster than 133 mbps, and generally easier to get up and running.

<link snipped>
Or better yet, use a 2.5" SATA SSD (or for maximum jank, an M.2 SATA SSD with a 2.5" SATA adapter) with a Firewire-capable drive enclosure like this one to get those sweet 400 Mbps transfer speeds.

Indeed a project with "why not" moto. Although it have very little use in real life like old 8086 CPUs for NASA satellite repairs in orbit which they hoarded 2 decades ago. But probably is useful for classic computer collectors as failed original drive substitute.

Reactions: artk2219 and King_V

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I'm actually very curious what kind of performance you can expect from a GPU using this method? More specifically I wonder if a traditional PCI bus would even have enough bandwidth for crypto mining. People already use PCIe x1 risers for GPU mining and apparently that's enough for crypto mining, but going down to PCI I'm not sure if that'd be too much of a bottleneck for even crypto mining.