Power Management for Firewire/USB Hard Drives?

scot

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2003
55
0
18,630
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Anyone have any info on how to include these drives into the power
management of XP instead of them just spinning 24/7?
Thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Not a good idea.

Turn off the power switch on the device?

Power management pertains to devices connected to the IDE ports, not to
firewire or USB ports. What would happen if your USB mouse or keyboard
suddenly "powered down" because power management thought they were not being
used enough.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

"Scot" <nowhere@man.com> wrote in message
news:39adnZ2dnZ1KamC8nZ2dnXNmhN6dnZ2dRVn-052dnZ0@comcast.com...
> Anyone have any info on how to include these drives into the power
> management of XP instead of them just spinning 24/7?
> Thanks
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Should be an icon in the system tray to use prior to physically turning off
a USB/Firewire connected hard drive.
At least there is on my XP/ME/98SE system.

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23ezCM4NsFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Not a good idea.
>
> Turn off the power switch on the device?
>
> Power management pertains to devices connected to the IDE ports, not to
> firewire or USB ports. What would happen if your USB mouse or keyboard
> suddenly "powered down" because power management thought they were not
being
> used enough.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>
> "Scot" <nowhere@man.com> wrote in message
> news:39adnZ2dnZ1KamC8nZ2dnXNmhN6dnZ2dRVn-052dnZ0@comcast.com...
> > Anyone have any info on how to include these drives into the power
> > management of XP instead of them just spinning 24/7?
> > Thanks
> >
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

All that does is disconnect the drive (logically) from the system. It does
not turn off the power to the device. That is done by removing the device
from the port or turning off the device's power with the switch.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner
"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"

"Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
news:OCdV6RTsFHA.1256@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Should be an icon in the system tray to use prior to physically turning
> off
> a USB/Firewire connected hard drive.
> At least there is on my XP/ME/98SE system.
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message
> news:%23ezCM4NsFHA.3720@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Not a good idea.
>>
>> Turn off the power switch on the device?
>>
>> Power management pertains to devices connected to the IDE ports, not to
>> firewire or USB ports. What would happen if your USB mouse or keyboard
>> suddenly "powered down" because power management thought they were not
> being
>> used enough.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Scot" <nowhere@man.com> wrote in message
>> news:39adnZ2dnZ1KamC8nZ2dnXNmhN6dnZ2dRVn-052dnZ0@comcast.com...
>> > Anyone have any info on how to include these drives into the power
>> > management of XP instead of them just spinning 24/7?
>> > Thanks
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Scot Wrote:
> Anyone have any info on how to include these drives into the power
> management of XP instead of them just spinning 24/7?
> Thanks

Version 4 of the 1394drivers from uniBrain/ubiCore are power management
aware and will spin down the drives.

Only problem is that if you are using a multi-bay enclosure with more
than one drive per bridgeboard, the driver does not see the second
drive.

At least they don't with the Oxford 911 chipset based boards in my
enclosures.

BTW; Have you run into any "Delayed Write Errors" with your external
drive? You may want to take a look at these pages for more info about
it.

http://www.bustrace.com/products/delayedwrite.htm

Also:

'More info'
(http://www.pcbanter.net/showpost.php?p=2194405&postcount=1)


--
Hartosay