[SOLVED] power off during HDD Cloning

GHDLC

Reputable
Sep 27, 2014
I was cloning my HDD using bootable Clonezilla ( disk to disk) when the power went out,
I retried after the power came back only for it to turn off again during cloning.
third time the power didnt cut off but now HDD shows up as 0GB into bios and my PC wouldnt boot if i have the HDD plugged in.
please help

Solution
So just your rig powered itself off/lost power during the clone, or actual power was lost to in the home, resulted in an unplanned interruption/corruption?

As for the PC not booting, you need to make sure of course the correct drive is selected within BIOS boot options...the addition of the drive that was to be cloned complicates the boot menus...

However, if drives no longer show correctly in the BIOS , or can't be manipulated within Admin tools/storage.,.we've got problems! (Certainly, drive's losing power exactly in mid-write can sometimes cause bad things...)

Perhaps you just had a bad drive...or now do....(technically, a short in a hard drive could trigger a power off/tripping of a PSU, although that is rather rare)

The sudden...
So just your rig powered itself off/lost power during the clone, or actual power was lost to in the home, resulted in an unplanned interruption/corruption?

As for the PC not booting, you need to make sure of course the correct drive is selected within BIOS boot options...the addition of the drive that was to be cloned complicates the boot menus...

However, if drives no longer show correctly in the BIOS , or can't be manipulated within Admin tools/storage.,.we've got problems! (Certainly, drive's losing power exactly in mid-write can sometimes cause bad things...)

Perhaps you just had a bad drive...or now do....(technically, a short in a hard drive could trigger a power off/tripping of a PSU, although that is rather rare)

The sudden power-offs are concerning, however.,...PSU or cabling issues? (If you try another PSU, do NOT mix modular power cables from one PSU with another, as the different pinouts at the PSU side can and often will burn up your storage devices instantly!)

Solution