MSI Z270-A Pro
Intel 7700K Kabylake
Noctua NH-D15
Samsung 960 Evo 250GB
16GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Gigabyte GTX 1050Ti WF2
EVGA 650W Gold Semi Modular
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4

So I've had no issues with this machine at all, I've used it for mostly gaming and a little bit of music production. I recently bought Final Fantasy XIII on Steam and have been using a long HDMI lead to play it via my TV. I've used MSI Afterburner to overclock my GPU to peak but stable levels and temps of 52°C. I've had absolutely no issues at all, until I hooked it back up to my monitor and started messing around in Ableton, then for some random reason my PC just went pooof and it cut off and restarted it's self.

I really don't know what to think of other than somehow static has hit my machine. I did unplug everything a while ago and dusted the machine, screen and speakers as they were collecting dust, but the machine still continued to perform fine under GPU intensive tasks. It's only now I've come back to the monitor that it's started exhibiting this behaviour, and it's something I don't want to continue for obvious reasons.

However just now I've switched the machine on at the wall, pressed the power button and got absolutely nothing, dead. I tried the switch at the wall, dead. The switch on the PSU, dead. It's only after pulling out the cable from the PSU and fiddling with an oddly loose feeling socket that after plugging back in the cable, the PC switched on, which shortly after it cut it's self off again to which I've just left it.

I've tried stress tests, both CPU and GPU, and it doesn't seem to cause a problem for either cores to be under heavy load. Windows didn't detect any memory problems. My suspicion is the PSU, but what do you think? It's very odd.

I need a step by step method of diagnosing the problem. Last night I played FFXIII for two hours no problems at all, today I've came to the machine and poof the power cut straight out and reset, I tried one more time and poof it did it again, so once again I've left the machine incase I do more damage to what's already a very expensive PC.

Can anyone help please?

esprade

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
I have tried another wall socket, I figured it could have been the power strip, but the plug is isolated in a single socket now and the PC exhibits the same behaviour.

With gtx 1050ti even 450 W would be plenty. Unless you plan to put different GPU, but then 650 W should be enough for any GPU as long as you use just one - of course assuming good quality unit.

esprade

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
Well I've got my new PSU installed, damn was the CPU plug a nightmare to deal with a Noctua NH-D15, also the Corsair cables wouldn't fit through some of my Fractal cases cable slots. But, so far seems good, still need more time to see if things are resolved but I'm hopeful a faulty PSU was indeed the problem. Either way I feel like I've got a superior product with the Corsair over the EVGA so as long as it keeps running I'm happy because that idle fan is awesone.

TRENDING THREADS