Question Power on but no display

Jun 7, 2023
PC specs:
MOBO: MSI B350
CPU: R5 5600
RAM: 2*8gb
GPU: RTX 2060

Contex:
Every time I go way for some days, I am used to disconnect the desktop from the power. I have never had problems, except the BIOS reset every time I recoconnect the pc to the power (probably due to discharged CMOS battery), until this sunday.

This sunday, when I tried to start the PC, all the lights and fans turned on but I had no video output. I tried to change GPU, but nothing. I finaly managed to solve the problem by turning on the PC with only CPU, GPU and one RAM installed. Once in the BIOS I have restarted the PC with all the disks and both RAMs intalled and it has worked with no problems.

Yesterday, the power went of due to maintenace and, unfortunately, the same problem occurs. The isssue, now, is that I am not able to restart the PC even following sunday's steps. I have also tried to use another CPU (R5 1600) and another GPU, but nothing.

Any idea? Is it possible that the PC does not boot because the CMOS battery is completely dead or the MOBO is dead? Any suggestion?

My main concern in say that the MOBO is dead is that on sunday I managed to have the PC back on and the problem seems to appear only when the PC is disconnected to electric power for some time.

Jun 7, 2023
brand and model of the psu?
yes change the cmos battery
Corsair VS650

Is it possible that a stupid battery like that can generate such a problem?
And is it a problem if I use a CR2025 battery instead of a CR2032 one?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Corsair VS650

Is it possible that a stupid battery like that can generate such a problem?
And is it a problem if I use a CR2025 battery instead of a CR2032 one?
I wouldn't think that the battery would cause the problem. Why not just use the 2032? I'd try to find another power supply to troubleshoot with.

Jun 7, 2023
I wouldn't think that the battery would cause the problem. Why not just use the 2032? I'd try to find another power supply to troubleshoot with.
I have tried with a new CMOS battery but it still does not work. I do not know if I can find another PSU. Any other suggestion in the meantime?

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I have tried with a new CMOS battery but it still does not work. I do not know if I can find another PSU. Any other suggestion in the meantime?
If I didn't have any parts available, I'd just take it to a repair shop where they'll be able to substitute any parts that are suspect. Sometimes replacing parts as a strategy is the quickest and easiest way to go. Some of us have a few computers around that make it easy to substitute parts - others are less fortunate. Sounds like you are one of those. :(