Power-on memory test repeats several times

I encountered another machine this weekend which runs the memory test on
start up several times - as many as four times in this case. Eventually it
completed with no messages. Is this cause for concern? The machine does
seem to run very slowly after a while, and I can't find a reason for it.

--
####################
## PH, London

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
|I encountered another machine this weekend which runs the memory test on
| start up several times - as many as four times in this case. Eventually
it
| completed with no messages. Is this cause for concern? The machine does
| seem to run very slowly after a while, and I can't find a reason for it.
|
| --
| ####################
| ## PH, London
| ####################

Hello Philip -

Likely there is a BIOS option in the CMOS setup screens for the system that
has not been enabled.

When the system first boots there is a key that needs to be pressed in order
to get into the CMOS setup screen. Many machines use DEL, F1, F2 or F10.
Check the manual for the machine in order to determine what key needs to be
pressed or watch the BIOS POST screen, where a line is often displayed
indicating which key to press.

Look for an item such as Quick Power On Self Test. This item needs to be
Enabled in order to cause the machine to perform the memory check only once.

Jef

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 15:41:23 GMT, "Jef Norton"
<jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
>|I encountered another machine this weekend which runs the memory test on
>| start up several times - as many as four times in this case. Eventually
>it
>| completed with no messages. Is this cause for concern? The machine does
>| seem to run very slowly after a while, and I can't find a reason for it.
>|
>| --
>| ####################
>| ## PH, London
>| ####################
>|

>Hello Philip -
>
>Likely there is a BIOS option in the CMOS setup screens for the system that
>has not been enabled.
>
>When the system first boots there is a key that needs to be pressed in order
>to get into the CMOS setup screen. Many machines use DEL, F1, F2 or F10.
>Check the manual for the machine in order to determine what key needs to be
>pressed or watch the BIOS POST screen, where a line is often displayed
>indicating which key to press.
>
>Look for an item such as Quick Power On Self Test. This item needs to be
>Enabled in order to cause the machine to perform the memory check only once.
>
>Jef

Also, perhaps it's acting slow because its CMOS battery has gone flat and
it has lost its settings. Potentially that would revert it to default
settings (the wrong CPU speed settings and quick POST disabled). So if it
happens again in a day or two, you'll know what to replace (the coin-like
battery).

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Thanks Jeff, Michael, I'll look into the BIOS settings. I don't think it's
the battery, as the machine grows slower over time, but I'll have a look
when I'm next in front of it.

--
## PH, London