Power on PC (windows 7) without pushing power button.

Cory_Froelich

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
I want to automate the power on process so it happens at a set time every day. So far I have not found any software or bios setting that will do this. All ways I have found involve waking up from a hibernation state, not a true shut down state.

Is there a simple program or mechanical modification that would allow me to start a PC from the shut down state every morning?

I always thought the BIOS timer would do this.

But if it doesn't, I think you have some major unwarranted bias against sleep. These days, electronics don't really completely turn off, your TV is waiting for a remote signal, and that receiver/detector is getting some minuscule power all the time.

Cory_Froelich

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

I have no real aversion to letting a computer go to sleep. I will just have to experiment with the machines to see if they will reconnect properly. Without going into too much detail, we have an entire lab of client computers that attach through third party software to an instructor station and a software server. Once a connection is lost, the server has to be rebooted, then the Instructor station and then the client machines have to be booted up. Otherwise the clients do not connect to the server through the software on the instructor station. I do not know if hibernation will count as "off" or "rebooted" when it comes to the software. I guess I will have to experiment with it. If hibernation is enough of a disconnect, then using the timer in BIOS should work.