Question Power Outage Can't Get Into Windows

Goorinjap

Commendable
May 21, 2016
The power went out in my house today and ever since I can't get into Windows. My PC was totally fine yesterday, but now all the sudden it's not working. I've tried many different things and none have worked. I'll try to list everything I've done. I'm pretty sure either Windows or my SSD were corrupted due to the power outage. Also I'd like to make quick mention of the fact that any help videos I've watched so far that run CMD show "C: \sources" as their baseline, but mine says "X: \windows\system32??" I don't know if that's out of place or not, but figured it might be worth mentioning. Every 3 times I boot I get to the "Recovery" screen. And it says "It looks like Windows didn't load correctly." I don't understand a lot of the CMD stuff so I'm just going to write down anything I think might be of use or relative to the matter.

1. Ran chkdsk C: /f /r /x and everything came back fine except at the bottom it says "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50?"

2. Ran sfc /scannow and it says "Verification 100% complete." and right below it, it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

3. Tried to run System Restore and it says System Restore failed while scanning the D: Drive. The drive might be corrupt? I don't have a "D:" Drive? It's the DVD player?

4. Tried to run System Image Recovery and it says "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer."

5. Tried booting into safe mode and that did nothing, but take me to a blank black screen.

6. I booted from the original Windows Installation DVD and that gave me no differences. I also tried all of the same things through the Advanced Options menu and once again did nothing different.

1. Ran Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd which came back normal except said "Total identified Windows installations: 0"??
  2. Ran Bootrec.exe /fixmbr which came back normal

9. Ran Bootrec.exe /fixboot which always says "Access is denied." It said the same thing when I ran it on the installation DVD.

10. Ran Startup Repair and it says "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC" with a message saying "Log file: D:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt" Which once again is confusing because I don't have "D:" drive?

Anyway these are all of the things I can think of that I've tried. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Drive letters get mixed up when you running off X
X is a ram disk windows creates to run the windows recovery mode
D is likely your C drive

one way to tell would be to go to Command prompt and type
diskpart and press enter
then type List Vol and press enter
it will show all the partitions on all drives attached. C should also be labelled System

4. is normal unless you used windows backup before

is there anything on PC you want to save?
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this PC, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

it sounds like windows is just dead. I would copy anything off the ssd you want to save and do a clean install
boot from installer

follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

TRENDING THREADS