[SOLVED] power outage (damaged my pc?)

NeedPeeling

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Today i had 2 minutes of power outage, while my pc was off, but the psu was on and the power cable was plugged into a cheap extension with other cables, the extension into the wall. Could this have damaged my pc? And how would i know if this was a power surge or outage. The whole neighboorhood had the same problem too so this wasn't local. I booted the pc and it worked fine, didnt play games on it yet since the power outage (surge?).

Could this have damaged my pc?

Psu: rmx 550

Solution
Perhaps invest in a surge suppressor / protected power bar? I'm always surprised how many people drop big $$$ on TVs, consoles, stereos, computers, then have a dollar store el-cheapo power bar. I have a decent older Monster power bar that turns off everything (cold) when the computer itself is off. (monitor, speakers, scanner, etc)

NeedPeeling

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Today i had 2 minutes of power outage, while my pc was off, but the psu was on and the power cable was plugged into a cheap extension with other cables, the extension into the wall. Could this have damaged my pc? And how di i know if this was a power surge or outage. The whole neighboorhood had the same problem too so this wasn't local. The pc booted normally, haven't tried any games yet though.
Could this have damaged my pc?

Psu: rmx 550

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
If you managed to boot and run it just fine then it was not a surge necessarily... with surges it can fry your pc and the fact it turns on means it most likely was not. Power outages are mostly harmless. Test your system, run a game and take note of any clicking/wining or smells as those are sure signs that something is damaged.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Perhaps invest in a surge suppressor / protected power bar? I'm always surprised how many people drop big $$$ on TVs, consoles, stereos, computers, then have a dollar store el-cheapo power bar. I have a decent older Monster power bar that turns off everything (cold) when the computer itself is off. (monitor, speakers, scanner, etc)

Solution