[SOLVED] power outage during scanning for bad sectors, anything to worry about?

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
The area where I live is under maintance right now due to problem in the main cabin, however I bought a new wd blue 3tb yesterday and today I wanted to test it to see of its working properly or not, I used hdtune and ran deep scan to test the sectors, in the middle of the process the power out went, will it damage my hdd especially the head and the platter?

Solution
The area where I live is under maintance right now due to problem in the main cabin, however I bought a new wd blue 3tb yesterday and today I wanted to test it to see of its working properly or not, I used hdtune and ran deep scan to test the sectors, in the middle of the process the power out went, will it damage my hdd especially the head and the platter?
No, it should not. But I recommend a good UPS -- and do not do anything power critical like a bios update with unstable power. Even a power outage during writes to an external drive can corrupt the external drive master boot record and make data disappear.

RealBeast

Titan
No, it should not. But I recommend a good UPS -- and do not do anything power critical like a bios update with unstable power. Even a power outage during writes to an external drive can corrupt the external drive master boot record and make data disappear.

Solution

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
So,
So, nothing is gonna happen to my internal hdd if the power went out during scanning the platter sectors?