Power outage/Hp E9260F won't start

eltrut

Reputable
May 6, 2015
Hi,

I had a power outage and now my pavilion e9260f won't turn on. The green LED light is on (steady). I've tried every suggestion that I found on the internet. Unplugging the power cord, replacing the power cord, unplugging the 24 PIN plug from my motherboard, holding the on button for 30 seconds, etc etc. I'm really hoping that it's just the PSU and the motherboard didn't get fried, because I am flat broke and can barely even afford a new power supply. I would like to take it to someone for them to look at, but like I said, I'm broke.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? IF I do need a new power supply, should I upgrade to a more powerful one? My PSU is a DPS-350AB-8A with a 24 PIN connector for the motherboard.

Man, I really hope my motherboard is ok. :(

eltrut

Reputable
May 6, 2015

Thanks for your reply, Logainofhades!

EDIT: It wasn't fried! I unplugged the old 240 watt PSU for a few hours and also unplugged the 24 PIN from the motherboard. I tried it again and the PC started right up. No Damage! PHEW!!! No worries...I shut down the PC as quickly as possible! I won't turn it on again until I have a new PSU! LOL

So...my one question remains....Do you have any suggestions of another compatible PSU for my DPS-350AB-8A? If it has the same dimensions, so it will fit in my tower, I'd be a happy man.
[strike]

That's exactly what the problem was. I had an even older HP sitting around, so I swapped the PSU and it booted right up. The problem now is after a few hours of use, I think I fried this PSU as well. It was only 240 watts compared to the 350watts that is required. I figured if I just used the 240 watts for a few days, it would of been fine. I guess I was wrong.

The reason I did this is because I don't have the money to buy a new PSU right now. Hence why I have such an old HP to begin with. Hopefully, I will find a replacement for the PSU that I need at a decent price.[/strike]

I did find a PSU upgrade for mine (DPS-350AB-8A) on ebay and it's only $26.79. It's 480 watts. Do you think it would be a decent replacement? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Power-Supply-for-Delta-GPS-450AA-100-A-DPS-350AB-8A-480w-watt-/350807699785?hash=item51adc4b149:g:aHoAAOSwrx5UVvdS

I also found this replacement/upgrade. This one is 550 watts. http://www.cputopia.com/psu-replacement-delta-dps-350ab-8a.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=26179509376&gclid=CJfIzbnQl8sCFQwPaQoduB0Beg

Any other suggestions? Hopefully one will fit in my HP Pavilion Elite e9260f tower.

Thanks for your info and thanks in advance!

logainofhades

Titan
Not sure those are very good units either. I know you don't want to spend much on such an old system, but you don't want to buy another junk unit. I believe this one would work for you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($33.98 @ Directron)
Total: $33.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-27 10:38 EST-0500

Solution

eltrut

Reputable
May 6, 2015

The PSU I have on my computer is the original and I have it on just about 24/7. So I guess I got my use out of it.

$33.98 and free shipping sounds like a great deal. But the fan is on top. I don't think it will work in my tower. :(

eltrut

Reputable
May 6, 2015

I understand now. I really appreciate all of your help! I think I'll order the Antec. It has excellent reviews. And the 450 watts will do just fine/better than my original 350 watts.

Once again, thank you, logainofhades! :)