Question Power outage makes my pc unusable

Apr 4, 2021
Hello everyone.
Around few days ago, my house area struck by lightning. My tv and other electrical stuff are fine.. Unfortunately my Samsung 19 inch monitor is dead, but my computer almost fine. Except for no drive detected and this error pop up
https://ibb.co/tX4HPhC

The question is, should I replace the motherboard or just replace the hard drive? Because I've read many articles about lighting strike could fry out the motherboard and other components.

A little extra info, my computer boot fine into bios detect all of my cpu, ram, fan whatever else.. Except for boot options, no drive listed.. But when I use windows 7 dvd, it load up fine but I can't install because no drive present...

Here is my setup -

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.3Ghz
GPU: Asus GT630 2GB
HDD: 500GB Seagate/500GB Hitachi
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P8h61-M Plus v3
RAM: 2X4GB Kingston 1333Mhz
PSU: 500w

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Apr 4, 2021
What was your boot device, Seagate or Hitachi?

Did you check the boot driver order in the Bios? The one with Windows should be on top of the list.

Windows installed on Seagate.. Hitachi only for games, media etc.. I already unplugged the Hitachi, leaving only the main Windows drive.. cycling thru all 4 sata ports, try different sata cables , still not detected.

Boot options in BIOS is empty and I cannot select anything. If I use windows dvd, it will boot directly into the disc,

Last edited:
Windows installed on Seagate.. Hitachi only for games, media etc.. I already unplugged the Hitachi, leaving only the main Windows drive.. cycling thru all 4 sata ports, try different sata cables , still not detected.

Boot options in BIOS is empty and I cannot select anything. If I use windows dvd, it will boot directly into the disc,

Does the DVD also use SATA cable?

If it does (we know that the cable and port are working), please try to connect the HDD to the same cable and restart.

Apr 4, 2021
Can you check your HDD on another computer? Just to make sure it's OK.

None of the two HDD is detected by the Bios, that's a bit scary.

I've tried plugged my hdd into my cousin pc, nothing detected as well.. Then I tried my cousin's spare 240GB sata ssd, when I try to install windows the drive seems missing. It was detected earlier in bios. 🤔