Question Power Outage: Need helping solving issue

Nov 24, 2019
Hello all, been a faithful dependent on Tom's Hardware since the early 2000's made many succeful builds without destroying them thanks to reading my posts on here.

Here is my issue and hoping that you can help:

It appears that I can get on the internet and view webpages that have banners such as the ones I'm seeing on here. But if I don't pause the video that's on the main page. My computer freezes. No CTRL+ALT+DEL, nothing. Forced a hard turn off then back on.

I can also cause this with using a program like qbittorrent. All files are through a video game retro site (Pleasuredome) and never had a problem before the outage.

The outage took my 2007 1200watt PSU which I now have purchased a 1300 watt psu to replace.

MEMORY
I also replaced my 8GB of DDR3 1600 ram with 16 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM
The error and lock up were the same issue with both sets on memory
As with the new memory I have done the Win 10 memory test and did 15 passes.
Using the CD as the boot device, I also ran MEMTest86 with only 2 passes.
No errors reported via memory

CPU Stress Test?
FurMark had a stress test for the CPU ran it for a little bit, no issues.

VIDEO CARD
I used FurMark to test my video card. It got pretty hot and after a few minutes felt convinced that that wasnt the issue.
Nvidia 660Ti

SSD Boot Drive and HARD DRIVES
I ran CHKDSK /f /r /x on all my hard drives including my SSD drive and there were no bad sectors.
Mind you the computer was on for 24 hours and no freezing occurred.

So here is the symptom that seems to be the only thing that can repeat itself with an exception:

I open ANY web brower: Firefox, Opera, Microft Edge, Brave, Epic and everything runs fine UNTIL I open a webpage that has a video on it OR I attempt to download a file. The computer gets choppy via cursor and then locks. Once in a while it will get choppy and continue but overall that seems to repeat.

At one point I opened ALL of the browsers and put three tabs open all running a YouTube video that I had play in HD but all at different speeds (2x, 1,5x 1.0x 0.5x and .25x) That time, they all ran and no issue.

If I run qbittorent by itself to download a file, it will download at a high rate (over 50MB/s then crash) to add, downloading a file from a webpage has caused crashes as well.

Sorry if wordy or vague, just hopefully will help. Appreciate all helpful feedback!

Also to Add, downloaded a file, file made cursor very laggy and jumpy once download was done, cursor was fine. Have not tried to allow seed yet for fear of crashing.

Last edited:
What PSU did you have, and what did you replace it with? Although 1000w+ is a lot, a low quality PSU model still isn't great.

In terms of stress testing the CPU and GPU, I think a few minutes is not enough time. You should try for at least half an hour, perhaps both at the same time too.

Lastly, the outage could've damaged some Windows files, causing the issue. To check and fix this, open Command Prompt as an administrator, and type "sfc /scannow" (without ") and press enter. This process will take a long time, but it will find any corrupt Windows files and hopefully restore them.

It might also be worth running a virus scan with something like Malwarebytes just to be sure.

Nov 24, 2019
Other things that have been done since then:
- Ran a program in command prompt tto repair drive
Hello all, been a faithful dependent on Tom's Hardware since the early 2000's made many succeful builds without destroying them thanks to reading my posts on here.

It appears that I can get on the internet and view webpages that have banners such as the ones I'm seeing on here. But if I don't pause the video that's on the main page. My computer freezes. No CTRL+ALT+DEL, nothing. Forced a hard turn off then back on.

I can also cause this with using a program like qbittorrent. All files are through a video game retro site (Pleasuredome) and never had a problem before the outage.

The outage took my 2007 1200watt PSU which I now have purchased a 1300 watt psu to replace.

MEMORY

CPU Stress Test?

VIDEO CARD
I used FurMark to test my video card. It got pretty hot and after a few minutes felt convinced that that wasnt the issue.
Nvidia 660Ti

I ran CHKDSK /f /r /x on all my hard drives including my SSD drive and there were no bad sectors.

So here is the symptom that seems to be the only thing that can repeat itself with an exception:

I open ANY web brower: Firefox, Opera, Microft Edge, Brave, Epic and everything runs fine UNTIL I open a webpage that has a video on it OR I attempt to download a file. The computer gets choppy via cursor and then locks. Once in a while it will get choppy and continue but overall that seems to repeat.

At one point I opened ALL of the browsers and put three tabs open all running a YouTube video that I had play in HD but all at different speeds (2x, 1,5x 1.0x 0.5x and .25x) That time, they all ran and no issue.

If I run qbittorent by itself to download a file, it will download at a high rate (over 50MB/s then crash) to add, downloading a file from a webpage has caused crashes as well.

Sorry if wordy or vague, just hopefully will help. Appreciate all helpful feedback!

Also to Add, downloaded a file, file made cursor very laggy and jumpy once download was done, cursor was fine. Have not tried to allow seed yet for fear of crashing.

MEMORY

CPU Stress Test?

VIDEO CARD
Nvidia 660Ti

MEMORY

CPU Stress Test?

VIDEO CARD
Nvidia 660Ti

What PSU did you have, and what did you replace it with? Although 1000w+ is a lot, a low quality PSU model still isn't great.

In terms of stress testing the CPU and GPU, I think a few minutes is not enough time. You should try for at least half an hour, perhaps both at the same time too.

Lastly, the outage could've damaged some Windows files, causing the issue. To check and fix this, open Command Prompt as an administrator, and type "sfc /scannow" (without ") and press enter. This process will take a long time, but it will find any corrupt Windows files and hopefully restore them.

It might also be worth running a virus scan with something like Malwarebytes just to be sure.
you'll have to you'll have to apologize or accept my apology for the long response I am using a cell phone and it is beyond frustrating in order to post on here properly if not the ads blocking my ability to even get to the forums it's the fact that every time I try to erase something it just resets itself anyways I have tried the sfc scan now and the D E I M before that in order to repair all the drivers none of that worked I also reinstalled Windows 10 and instantly went to Microsoft Edge to down Row the Opera web browser and although the computer won't freeze it ends up freezing just the webpage so I have no way of even accessing the webpage now at this point with so much and with so much and steak and so much being locked out of everything would it be best for me just to replace the motherboard or am I looking for something else I find it hard to believe that it's the drivers I know it's not any of the other components that I've already tested so the only things I can guess is that it's either my cable modem my router my motherboard other than that I am stumped any feedback is appreciated I'll be able to see it on email but I won't be able to respond to the frustration of this thank you for your time

Nov 24, 2019
new issue: no internet, noticed it was iffy in other side of building on phone. Bought another rourer where even after a factory reset, the d7000 would only dhow anber on the internet even thogh the cable modem ould be connected to. Installed new modem everyone connected to wifi. great. connected my computer, i stantly lost everyone on wifi and the router ssys everythjng is fine and running. factory reset, nothing... id it safe to ssy tge network connecto on ky motgerboadrd is shorted out and time to get a new one?
so i meant I experienced the amber witg my d700p bought a new ROUTER and all was well till I connected my computeer ethernet xable to router.

Nov 24, 2019
My apologies for all the babbling.
As you may have read through all the garbage (sorry), I am strongly assuming that the onboard network adapter and its connection to the motherboard is causing a short and frying my router (D7000) and the new one that I just bought. However, it runs like everything is fine. (Nighthawk X6S) All light are on but the phones wifi, though is connected the router says the internet is not there. Tried 2x cable modem resets and 2x new router reset, WiFi see the router but no internet and the laptop im using does nothing when connected. Not sure how describe last part but after attempting to directly connect to the new router via laptop and nothing happened, connected directly to cable modem and had to reset cable modem and laptop because it said "Ethernet doesnt have a valid IP configuration" reset modem and laptop cured everything. Just wondering: What is the screwed up network connection doing to the router thats causing this domino effect. Ok bottom line: Replacing the motherboard and CPU should cure the entire original and current problem?