cjdomer04

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I built my PC a couple years ago and most things were going well. It would be a little tempermental (if I shut it down for a few days, it would take a couple attempts to get it to fire back up) but once it was running, there were no issues at all. Yesterday, I lost power for a few hours and when I tried to restart it, it wouldn't even POST. Every fan would spin up and run, but I didn't get any sort of response on the monitor.

After checking individual components, the RAM seemed to be causing the problems. I have 4x1GB of Crucial Ballistix PC6400, but now only 1 seems to work. The one that works seems to work in any of the 4 DDR2 slots, but the other 3 cause the system to not POST (whether they are used alone or in combination with the working stick). Does this seem like a logically possible response to a single power outage? The system was on a surge protector, but it is just a basic one. Is there another possible problem with the system that I am not considering, or is it assuredly the RAM? Should I assume all of the other 3 sticks are dead?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

System Specs: Q6600, P35-DS3R, X1950 Pro, Corsair 550VX, RAM listed above.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Get a bootable iso of mem test and check your memory sticks. This will point out if the memory is bad. If bad get an RMA from Crucial and get them swapped out.....

The Crucial will almost certainly need more than 1.8V. It's possible your BIOS defaulted. Or I suppose it's possible a spike damaged your PSU just enough to cause some instabilities in voltage, or your MB the same. It's most likely it's just a BIOS reset issue.

cjdomer04

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

The problem with attempting this is that I cannot POST with the other sticks of RAM. So, I can't test the other sticks since it never reaches that point.

I did test the one working stick and it worked without a problem.

To the other suggestion: I don't think I had to raise it previously. Could the power outage change the power requirements?