Power Plant Integrated Control Systems

PsychoManiac21

Distinguished
May 24, 2015
By chance would anyone know the system requirements that a computer would need in order run a software like this. I addition would piece of hardware would be the most crucial i.e. ram, cpu, etc.

Solution

1. There is no generic "these requirements".
Someone will have to sit down and actually write out all the specific requirements. And then, design and build a system to do that.

2. Unless you want to, and can, move into the "IT guy" job role, do not build a PC for this.
Even then...you don't build a "custom PC" for this.

USAFRet

Titan

Those are all custom built.
There is no "a software" or "a computer". Various sections of a power plant run different things, on different platforms.

What are you looking to do?

Jwpanz

Honorable
Ya these systems are custom built by companies specializing in the area. I’m also sure the price of these systems is well outside of what an individual is looking to spend. Are you planning on running or owning a power plant or something?

PsychoManiac21

Distinguished
May 24, 2015

The specific system that we have is hooked up to a computer via 2 USBs that is allowing it to display onto a 4k monitor.

PsychoManiac21

Distinguished
May 24, 2015

The reason I ask is because our company currently runs our system through a Allen-Bradley box into a computer to the monitor. It is freezing and I was wondering if this may be because of the computer itself.

USAFRet

Titan

Well..that's a very specific use case.
That might even be just a generic PC. But could be anything.

Who is supposed to manage this? Do you have an employee that does this, or a service contract with the vendor?

PsychoManiac21

Distinguished
May 24, 2015

We do have someone but he is currently out until Monday next week and I wanted to get a little bit of knowledge on the subject before I asked if I could build the company a custom PC.

USAFRet

Titan

1. There is no generic "these requirements".
Someone will have to sit down and actually write out all the specific requirements. And then, design and build a system to do that.

2. Unless you want to, and can, move into the "IT guy" job role, do not build a PC for this.
Even then...you don't build a "custom PC" for this.

Solution

PsychoManiac21

Distinguished
May 24, 2015

Okay. Sorry if this was a stupid question but thank you for the insight.

USAFRet

Titan

No, not a dumb question.
This is how we learn.

But consider this:
Let's say this is mostly a generic PC.
Something from Dell might cost $1,000
But you can build the same capabilities for $800. You might even be able to include the OS in that.

ooo...you saved the company $200!
Until the first time it burps on a Sunday afternoon.
Dell Business warranty, you can have someone out the next day, with replacement part (or a whole replacement system) in hand.
Your build...3-4-5 days until you can diagnose and maybe fix. That $200 saving evaporated real fast.