tdmg

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
hey guys,

I just took my ABS computer home from school today, but its not powering up. I jumped the power supply, and that's working fine, but when I plug it all in nothing happens, no lights, no fans, no nothing. I asked a friend, and he said to plug everything in again, so I did that (except for the processor and a few other things), but nothings working. What am I doing wrong and what should I try?

Thanks in advance! :D

-tdmg

offgreen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2005
I think he means he left the processor in. Did you try resetting the cmos? I had a similar problem once and thats all it took.

endyen

Splendid
Pull it out of the case, set it up on a phone book, but do a basic boot config. Just use the mobo, chip w hsf, 1 stick of ram, gfx card and keyboard.
If it boots like that try it back in the case, with the same setup.
Add one item @ a time, and boot. If something got broke in the move, it will show up.

tdmg

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
my chip is in, I have a carpet in my room and didn't want to fool with it is all.

I have had this problem many times, though it only happens when I transport it. Usualy I test the power suply and then jiggle all the plugs and it's good to go, but this time it didn't do that. Might there be something that came loose that I don't know about? And how do I test for a more serious problem (I have very spotty knowledge, so assume that I have no clue what your jargon means)?

To me it seems like such a vague problem that I don't know how to approach.

-tdmg

P.S. Endyen, I assmed you were talking about taking the mobo out, but I have no clue what a basic boot config is, and I'm not about ot go tearing apart my computer. I understand the basic setup technique, and that if the base system works then it must be something else that is broken. However, I don't think anything is boken (it was held steady throughout the trip), and I'm more likely to break something while doing your all out test than while transporting it. I think you overestimated my knowledge when I said that I tested the power supply, but that is just about the only thing I know how to do with hardware, everything else scares me.

endyen

Splendid
It sounds like you have something that doesn't fit as well as it should.
The things that come loose most often are power connector, and graphics card. With the back switch off, give them a slight wiggle. If one of them is a little loose, that's probably your problem part, so make sure it's tight every time you move the computer.
BTW how did you jump the psu?