[SOLVED] Power required for Inter core i5 9600k and RTX 2060

riobijoy

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Hi,

I am having a cooler master Thunder 600 w smps presently,now i am going to upgrade my cpu with i5 9600 k with zotac rtx 2060,will 600 w smps will run fine.

The CM Thunder is an old budget PSU with no reviews to speak of. It's quality is really questionable when it released. All in all is a really low quality model.

Since the PSU is pretty old and was released in 2012(before Haswell), it most likely is a group regulated unit. For newer CPUs(4th gen or newer) that's a bad thing, because of the added sleep states C6/C7 in which the power draw is significantly lower than previous gen CPUs. That's a problem for a group regulated PSU(+12V and +5V are regulated together) ... voltage for the +5V will go out of the ATX spec usually at really low loads on the +12V, which is the case when the CPU enters those low power draw states(your 9600k). Also, at really high loads on the +12V and really low loads on the +5V, voltage will again go out of spec... nowadays the main power hungry components will use the +12V rail while the +5V is used for the storage devices logic and on some components of the motherboard(USB for example)... you'll be in this case quite often.
Because the +12V and +5V are regulated together, these group regulated units won't ever do well in crossload tests(that's when one of the 2 rails is put under a high load and the other is under a really low load)... it gets worse on a low quality PSU like the one you have currently.

I'll recommend going ahead and upgrading your current PSU to a newer DC-DC unit.
A great quality 550W model will be sufficient for your build, these models are great: Corsair RM or TXM, Seasonic Focus Plus, Superflower Leadex III. It's never a good ideea to cheap out on a PSU because it can take your other expensive components with it when it fails.

Last edited: