Power Requirements for HD5850 & 5870 posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:bounce:

Here are the official power requirements for the brand new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
• 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in • dual mode)

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements

• PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
• 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in • dual mode)

NOTE - These are the power supply recommendations for an entire pc system. I can't wait to see techncial reviews with power consumption results. I knew the cards were supposed to be more energy efficient than current generation cards.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'm stoked. I had just assumed with the new cards, my 650W OCZ wasn't gonna cut it, but sounds like it will.

I'm hoping our local importers got some in ready for sale, otherwise we probably wont see any for 4-6 weeks. I neeeeeeeeed new video card goodness. 299 for the 5850 is probably fair, assuming it outranks other 299 range cards.

Wondering how it goes - 5850 vs 4890?

I just read half a dozen technical reviews. Power consumption looks good. The Tom's Hardware review showed the highest system power consumption with two 5870's in dual Crossfire mode but the test system was equipped with an Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition Bloomfield overclocked to 4.0 Ghz. In other reviews system power consumption was lower with an Intel Core i7 920.

The 5850 will be introduced next week.

dirtmountain - I saw that. That was using OCCT which is a stress testing tool that creates a load much larger than any game. 4870 X2 and 4890 both crashed as soon as OCCT started. Their chart for World of Warcraft was much more realistic for gamers. An Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz system with two 5870's in Crossfire mode used 430 watts.

nashlofer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the information, the last time I read about ATI updates was when I upgraded to HD 4830 and now there's a HD 58XX series available! Looks like I'm years behind. LOL!

mezal1981

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
its like the price war become hot again,i wonder what segment that ATi go its Nvidia GTX 280 or 275,look like NVIDIA going fall to ground again hahahha i can wait to see...

nashlofer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Yes, I agree. ATI always has a way of getting their price low but at least offer almost the same performance with its NVIDIA counterpart.
On a 2nd thought I guess this works at all business levels, however, with AMD's performance on its CPU, Intel is killing it and beating AMD's a** well.

Maybe they should spend their profit to better R&D for their CPUs.

I pretty much agree, however there are always some graphically intense areas in almost all games that will pretty much load the GPU and CPU. These are usually the "end encounters" or the critical parts of a game. So while a 650w quality PSU might be enough in day to day running of crossfired 5870s, i'd still recommend a 750w or greater for any overclocked system.

nashlofer

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009

I agree with your suggestion, its good to make allowances as O.C. would sometimes "tweak" your system uncontrollably. Just review which PSU brand you are buying some offers 750watts PSU though their volt/ampere rating isn't correct. I read on other articles that there are times when the PSU rating is correct but still can't run crossfired 48XX GPU.
Just my 2 cents.

Wow give em the data they want and they flock to it eh? This thread has over 27K views.

My mildly overclocked i7-2600K, and mildly overclocked 5870, along with eleven 120mm fans and a pump, rarely cause the fan on my Seasonic X-650 to come on..

I pretty much had to load Prime95 AND Furmark to get the fan to move. So I'm under the 20% load mark most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.