Power resets after upgrade (GTX 1080 TI)

Hank Crocker

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Hey guys,

I have an issue after making an hardware upgrade from an EVGA GTX 960 SSC Edition to an ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI OC Edition. I had an issue previously where my game was hard resetting while playing graphically intensive games like New Vegas in 4k/ENB and a bunch of mods. I'm convinced that those restarts were caused by bad RAM allocation since New Vegas could allocate so much being only built for 32 bit systems. If anyone wants to read it, here it is. However, I have an issue that is a lot more rare in terms of occurence compared to the other issue. Let me preface this saying that I have checked and double checked the temperatures and voltages for my CPU/GPU/PSU and all of them are within acceptable parameters. CPU and GPU temps never go above 70 degrees Celsius. My voltage range is small and stays around the values that are considered acceptable. I also ran memtest86 and I haven't had any issues with that. (I only ran the test series once because I didn't have the time to run it more). My BIOS and Motherboard drivers as well as my GPU drivers are all up to date according to ASUS.

Anyway onto the crashes, the crashes do not occur when I am playing games. The only times when it is occurring is when I am browsing online and/or running multiple applications (Chrome, Steam, and bit torrent were the only apps that were running when this crash occurred) I can't find a connection between when the crashes occur and the apps that I am using. I didn't run into an issue with this for almost 2-3 weeks since the upgrade until today. I'm convinced the issue is related to the PSU but I wanted to get some input from the community before I make a purchase.

Error in Event Viewer:
- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 6

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2018-07-16T23:02:18.787660700Z

EventRecordID 3357

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-QSB8MMG

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 30
BugcheckParameter1 0xffffffffc0000047
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff800cab91778
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0

System Specs:
ASUS Maximus VII Hero
Intel I7 4790k @ 4.4Ghz
Hyper 212 EVO
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 TI Overclocked w/ 11GB of Memory
Corsair HX750 PSU
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD

Solution
I strongly doubt it damaged your GPU. I, too, have heard of the type of issues you've mentioned though I really find such to be somewhat hard to believe. I suppose you'll find out soon enough when your new PSU arrives. I'd hate to hear that you ended up believing it to be one thing, spending money thinking you're fixing it, only to find that it wasn't the issue at all. :/

I suppose time will tell. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Hank Crocker

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Okay. I only asked seeing that you didn't make reference to your PSU or the output in your OP. You've got a quality unit so I can't say that's the root of the issue. My first guess was BIOS but you covered that as being up to date on both the board and the drivers. I see you've also run MEMTEST on your sticks and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary there, either. It just seems particularly odd that your issues are while doing non-gaming intensive tasks.

Hank Crocker

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Yeah I have been running my system in an Overclock configuration on my Video Card and my CPU. I have since disabled both and I'm gonna see if that makes a difference in the frequency of the crashes.

with a 5 year old unit there may be a bad cap in the unit. the unit with light load is fine but under heat and full load there a part that not up to snuff. as then unit has a 7 year warranty see if the power supply vendor will do a cross ship. put in a new unit and see if the error still there.

Hank Crocker

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
But that's the strange thing. Running it under load hasn't caused any issues. I've been playing games in 4k for 2-3 weeks and I haven't had this issue occur at all while playing them.

Hank Crocker

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Okay so update. It has been a week since the last crash and I just got a crash tonight. I decided to swap out the PSU from a HX750 to a Corsair CX750M. It should be enough despite it being lower quality and it's relatively newer compared to the HX750 where it was purchased last year versus 5 years. I'll let you guys know if there is any issue. If I get another crash, I'm probably going to buy a new Corsair PSU.

EDIT: I decided to run memtest86 again on around 10 passes running the default tests. I got the note "RAM may be vulnerable to high frequency row hmer bit flips". I read that unchecked, this can cause BSODs and reboots. My ram is about 3 years old and is Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8gb DDR3 1600mhz. I'm wondering if this might be the issue.

I would recommend getting a higher quality PSU than that for your system/GPU.

If Corsair the RMX.

Others would be:

EVGA G2 or G3
Seasonic Focus Plus.

Personally there is no way I would hook up a CX750 to a GTX 1080Ti... Or GTX 1080 for that matter.

Hank Crocker

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I would recommend getting a higher quality PSU than that for your system/GPU.

If Corsair the RMX.

Others would be:

EVGA G2 or G3
Seasonic Focus Plus.

Personally there is no way I would hook up a CX750 to a GTX 1080Ti... Or GTX 1080 for that matter.

Okay I took your advice Jankerson. I ordered a Corsair RMX 750 Watt PSU. It's Gold certified so it should be good. If this doesn't fix the problem, the only other parts that I could think that could be faulty could either be the RAM or god forbid, the Motherboard itself.

Hank Crocker

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
I think I know what the issue is. When I got my GTX 1080 TI, I pulled out a 8 to 16 PSU to GPU connector that came with a different corsair psu. It came with the cx750m. I read that cabling from different psus can cause issues if mixed with different psus. The cabling I had hooked up to my GPU was type 4. I've swapped back to my gtx960 for the time being untill the rm750x arrives as well as the PSU to GPU cabling I used for that. The only concern I have was if it could have damaged the 1080 ti being connected the way it was for about a month. It is still functional and I didn't see any change in performance during the whole time.

I strongly doubt it damaged your GPU. I, too, have heard of the type of issues you've mentioned though I really find such to be somewhat hard to believe. I suppose you'll find out soon enough when your new PSU arrives. I'd hate to hear that you ended up believing it to be one thing, spending money thinking you're fixing it, only to find that it wasn't the issue at all. :/

I suppose time will tell. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Solution

Hank Crocker

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

Thanks Skybill. I was building a new system anyway and rotating my systems to my family.