power settings...

far

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003
Hi,
I have a toshiba satellite laptop (I got it in summer 2000).
Anyways, up until now I have pretty much used it on a daily basis but only for two-three hours a day (when I'm not using it, it has been off). Anyways, now I'm finding it more and more neccessary to use it several times a day so I posted a message (on a different message board) asking if leaving my computer on all day would shorten its life. I was told that in fact turning it on and off might have more damaging effects than just simply leaving it on all the time.... So I was advised to keep it on all day, but that I should adjust the power setting so that the hard disk goes off when it hasn't been used for a while..
I experimented with this setting, I put it at one minute (just to see if the hard disk would go off...) Anyways, after about a minute the hard disk went off and but only stayed off for about 45 seconds. Then it came on and went off again (and kept going off and on... never staying off for more than about a minute)... I changed the setting to 5 minutes, but I waited for 10 minutes and the hard disk wouldn't go off!!! (I wasn't touching the computer and the only thing running was firewall and virus scanner....

My question is: Is this whole thing neccessary? I mean, does it matter if the hard disk keeps running all the time?
If I SHOULD set the setting for it to go off, what would the optinal setting be? (how many minutes?)
Also, isn't it bad for the hard disk to keep going on and off like that?
Idealy how long should the hard disk stay off for each time it goes off?

I would appreciate any info.

Thanks!!!!

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
If your laptop is plugged in there is no need to worry about power and you can leave your hard disk running. Stop/starting the hard disk is bad for it, if you're going to spin it down then it should be because the computer is going into standby mode or something. If you are using it on the battery then you should probably go into hibernate/standby/off or whatever whenever you stop working to conserve battery.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: