[SOLVED] Power shortage or overclocking damage ?

Nov 28, 2019
Hey,
so i have had my PC since mid 2018 and i have this problem where if i play a game i can only play for about 20min then my PC would start to make a really loud fan noise and i cant see anything on my screen but i can hear the game sound and i would have to hard restart it.
when i first got it i tried to overclock it but it started major problems so i reverted it. maybe my hardware is corrupted now because of the overclocking i really dont know if it's even related to that, or if it's a cooling issue or if my computer is not getting enough power.

SPECS:
CPU: intel core i5 7600k LGA 1151
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070
Motherboard: MSI z270 m3
RAM: Vengeance corsair 16gb DDR4
Power supply: Cool max 120mm 600watts

Solution
so what i have found out is that my case fans are 3 pins but my cpu cooler fan is 4
That's totally normal, all CPU heatsinks are PWM, they automatically adjust fan speeds according to CPU average temperature. I suggest if you have a spare PSU, try it out.

Typically I suggest good quality PSU's because they avoid complications, try at least Bronze 80+ category. I personally suggest 80+ Gold if your budget allows it. But, in this case the PSU may not be the issue.

You can start by the basics, make sure the GPU and CPU heatsinks are free from layers of dust, a little dust is tolerable, but serious ventilation issues may be the cause of blackouts/shutdowns. I also suggest applying fresh thermal paste on your CPU heatsink. You...

Ralston18

Titan
Are you able to determine which specific fan is the sound/noise source?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Reseat all cards, cables, RAM, jumper, etc..

Check that all fans are free to spin without obstructions.

Try playing again and post accordingly.

haxbox

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Can you please identify which fan is making the loud noise?
If it's the CPU cooler, make sure you have seated it properly and the thermal paste suffices. If it's the power-supply that's making the noises, maybe its clogged with dust?

Are your case fans PWM (4pin)?

Nov 28, 2019
Are you able to determine which specific fan is the sound/noise source?

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Reseat all cards, cables, RAM, jumper, etc..

Check that all fans are free to spin without obstructions.

Try playing again and post accordingly.
i cleaned out everything and tried but had the same problem, and the fan noise is coming from my GPU for some reason the other fans are ok

Nov 28, 2019
Can you please identify which fan is making the loud noise?
If it's the CPU cooler, make sure you have seated it properly and the thermal paste suffices. If it's the power-supply that's making the noises, maybe its clogged with dust?

Are your case fans PWM (4pin)?
Fan noise is coming from GPU
im sorry i don't know what you mean (PWN fans)

haxbox

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
so what i have found out is that my case fans are 3 pins but my cpu cooler fan is 4
That's totally normal, all CPU heatsinks are PWM, they automatically adjust fan speeds according to CPU average temperature. I suggest if you have a spare PSU, try it out.

Typically I suggest good quality PSU's because they avoid complications, try at least Bronze 80+ category. I personally suggest 80+ Gold if your budget allows it. But, in this case the PSU may not be the issue.

You can start by the basics, make sure the GPU and CPU heatsinks are free from layers of dust, a little dust is tolerable, but serious ventilation issues may be the cause of blackouts/shutdowns. I also suggest applying fresh thermal paste on your CPU heatsink. You would need a thermal compound like MX-4, Don't remove your cpu from the Socket, use isopropyl or any kind of alcohol and some cotton or papertowel and remove the old dried up thermal paste, apply just a drop of new one, re-install the heatsink back to the motherboard.

Secondly, reset bios to default. Turn off your pc, unplug the power cord, find a two-pin jumper which varies from board, ususally labeled as CLR_CMOS or CLRTC, short it out for a second with a metallic object/screwdriver.
Alternative method is;
Turn off your PC, unplug the power cord, eject the CR2023 battery, a shiny coin-shaped battery found int the motherboard, and short the pins with a screwdriver.

Update your BIOS to the latest version, make sure your GPU drivers are up-to-date.

Solution
Nov 28, 2019

You can start by the basics, make sure the GPU and CPU heatsinks are free from layers of dust, a little dust is tolerable, but serious ventilation issues may be the cause of blackouts/shutdowns. I also suggest applying fresh thermal paste on your CPU heatsink. You would need a thermal compound like MX-4, Don't remove your cpu from the Socket, use isopropyl or any kind of alcohol and some cotton or papertowel and remove the old dried up thermal paste, apply just a drop of new one, re-install the heatsink back to the motherboard.

Secondly, reset bios to default. Turn off your pc, unplug the power cord, find a two-pin jumper which varies from board, ususally labeled as CLR_CMOS or CLRTC, short it out for a second with a metallic object/screwdriver.
Alternative method is;
Turn off your PC, unplug the power cord, eject the CR2023 battery, a shiny coin-shaped battery found int the motherboard, and short the pins with a screwdriver.

Update your BIOS to the latest version, make sure your GPU drivers are up-to-date.
thank you so much but i want to ask you one more thing , because im going to replace my PSU anyways because i see a line in the middle of my monitor and found that it is a PSU problem.

CORSAIR RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply
is this a good PSU and would it go with my specs?