[SOLVED] Power & Sleep Reset

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Hello guys, I have problems with automatic "power and sleep" reseting. Every time I boot up my PC I see in "power and sleep" Screen "turn off after 15 minutes". I always change it to "never" and save, but during the day it resets to 15, or at least on the next startup. Why does this keep happening?

Link to video proof:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bwvDQzXqLc&feature=youtu.be

In the video I show "power plan" instead of "power and sleep" but the problem is the same, it rsets from never to 15 minutes.

Solution
If the second account is also an admin account, it may also set the power settings for the original account. Have you checked for that?

Sounds like your user profile may be corrupted. If so, this can be difficult to repair. What version of Windows are you using?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The reason I asked is that these settings are often controlled via an organizations policies (even if the user changes for a short period of time).

Do you have more than one account on this system? If not, try making another and seeing if you can change there. Could be a user profile issue.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
The reason I asked is that these settings are often controlled via an organizations policies (even if the user changes for a short period of time).

Do you have more than one account on this system? If not, try making another and seeing if you can change there. Could be a user profile issue.
It did work on the new account while the old one still kept auto reseting. The problem now is many programs are not working and need to be re-downloaded and installed again, and also, whole "Documents" need to be copied which takes double the memory afterwards. While this solved one (main) problem, it created quite a few of others, so I just have to ask, is there absolutely no other way to stop auto reset power options?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If the second account is also an admin account, it may also set the power settings for the original account. Have you checked for that?

Sounds like your user profile may be corrupted. If so, this can be difficult to repair. What version of Windows are you using?

Solution

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019

I set both to be admin, but in either case, the new account has no problem, but the old one keeps having it. Still, even when i changed the old one to not be admin, it was the account that PC boot into. I can't boot into the new one directly.

I have win10 1909. I thought so, the account is "corrupted" just don't know why and what caused it.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
If the profile is corrupted, I don't think that updating to 2004 will solve the issue. Still, you could give it a shot.

I have 2004 installed on all of my systems and have had zero issues.
Hello, I have scanned updates many times past 2 days but I don't have the 2004 version update available. Any way to force it to appear?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Bwoah, thanks guys...

Downloaded and launched, got screen "Something went wrong. Error code 0xa0000400."
This means 2004 doesn't like something on your current setup. Could be an old application, driver, device, etc. Could also be a profile issue, where Windows couldn't migrate a profile to the new baseline.

You might try to "repair" your user profile and try the upgrade afterward.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-fix-corrupted-user-profile

Last edited: