[SOLVED] Power Supplies and Graphics Cards

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I watch a lot of this guys videos and find him very informative ,in the last one of him replacing a 300w. power supply for a 400w one, he puts a GTX970 in there and says it is fine. And yet they say the GTX970 needs a bigger power supply.
View: https://youtu.be/MmFnqa1NtJc?t=3
.Another thing is why did he not go for a bigger one than the 400w?if i was doing it i would put one in at least 450w ..What are your thoughts on all this?
Off the subject i asked a seller on eBay if he could reduce the price of a Pc on eBay. The seller did not reply to my email, But eBay put a message on my page saying the seller had given me an offer on it.But when i looked at the offer it was for two of them?I sent two messages to the seller telling the seller i only wanted one .Why don,t people communicate?It seems quite a few sellers don,t reply on there.I am sure a lot of you watch this guys videos.Tech Deals.

Last edited:
Solution
He must know what he is saying that it is fine to use it with a 400w .Plus the fact that he has been doing the utube videos for some years.
keep in mind you cannot trust everything you see on Youtube as fact.

many of these serial video producers just come up with things that may draw others in to gain more views.
they could easily swap out or rearrange builds during the video just to try and "prove" something works which may get them even more views.
and if they're tied to sellers on eBay, they have even more reason to make misleading videos just to further unload old junk to users that don't know any better.

just because they may have been doing it for some amount of time or have a certain amount of viewers does not mean they...
It's only for the start, at this stage the GTX 970 only need about 150W, but if you play a demanding game, the power consumption could go as high as 300W.

So I'd say 450W is strict minimum for light gaming, otherwise invest in a 600W so you won't put too much stress on the PSU.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
It's only for the start, at this stage the GTX 970 only need about 150W, but if you play a demanding game, the power consumption could go as high as 300W.

So I'd say 450W is strict minimum for light gaming, otherwise invest in a 600W so you won't put too much stress on the PSU.
As i said in my post i don,t know why he did not go for at least a 450w .
He must know what he is saying that it is fine to use it with a 400w .Plus the fact that he has been doing the utube videos for some years.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

many of these serial video producers just come up with things that may draw others in to gain more views.
they could easily swap out or rearrange builds during the video just to try and "prove" something works which may get them even more views.
and if they're tied to sellers on eBay, they have even more reason to make misleading videos just to further unload old junk to users that don't know any better.

just because they may have been doing it for some amount of time or have a certain amount of viewers does not mean they are trustworthy or actually worth even watching.

Reactions: tunghaichuan
Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
Absolutely!

Like create posts with links to the video on prominent hardware forums.... :LOL:

@Wishbone1 - Research means checking more than one source. If one person says this and fifty others say that, it kind of tells you which way you should be leaning, but ultimately, the decision is yours.

-Wolf sends

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Some one on facebook market place has this for sale Asus turbo nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb the guy says it is bottle necked on his system thats why he is selling it .He is selling for £100 pounds seems a good price.So at that price i could buy it and sell it for a lot more if it was to bottle on my Pc.This is what he says
This graphics card was in my system for a month but I have come to the realisation that it is bottlenecked and needs to be upgraded

Last edited:
Some one on facebook market place has this for sale
and?
are you asking a question or just making a comment?

and why are you using such large bold font?
bottlenecked
do you understand what this term is supposed to mean?
the theory behind it is that one component of a system is holding back the performance of all others in a particular scenario.
so that one component would be the "bottleneck".
if it was to bottle on my Pc
if your existing card isn't already causing this, and if this card is more powerful than your existing;
it would be impossible to cause a "bottleneck" in your system.

Last edited:

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
At this point in time, I'd be very wary of anyone selling a used, mid-to-high end graphics card for such a low price. There is almost certainly something wrong with it (doesn't work/fake).

-Wolf sends

Edit:
Looking on EBay UK - GTX 1060 6GB the only thing you're finding for £100 states "Parts Only". Again, Research!
Thats what i was thinking.It does not look fake.though.There is someone selling a EVG one on there for 150 and the guy says that people are selling this for 250.
I am a bit weary of people on there saying*Need gone quick?thats what he says.
And other people on there saying stuff like that or need gone today?

Last edited: