[SOLVED] Power supply advice

Apr 7, 2021
Recently bought a second GTX 780ti to add to my build and to power both GPUs I have a Corsair RM750 PSU however I bought the computer pre built years ago and I've noticed on the power supply all the slots are currently in use, does this mean my only option is to upgrade the PSU? Ive read on other forums the RM750 should be able to handle two graphics cards except I can't find figure out how to feed the GPU 8 pin 6 pin connector, appreciate any advice.

Full specs
i7 4770k / Asus maximus hero VI
Dual GTX 780ti / 24 GB DDR3 ram
Samsung EVO 256 SSD, 1TB HDD
RM750 gold

Solution
It does indeed buddy, the components in this build are from 2014 so that actually makes a lot of sense to me now. I guess upgrading is the best and only option as the 3 8 pins are used up. Many thanks
Keep in mind the 780 ti is a 250 watt card. A pair of them is a lot of power draw. If you really want to use 2 of them you need more headroom. I'd go for a 850W to be safe. Even a 1KW would not be total overkill. If you're planning on SLI you should know that hardly any developers are supporting that anymore. SLI is pretty much dead.
Recently bought a second GTX 780ti to add to my build and to power both GPUs I have a Corsair RM750 PSU however I bought the computer pre built years ago and I've noticed on the power supply all the slots are currently in use, does this mean my only option is to upgrade the PSU? Ive read on other forums the RM750 should be able to handle two graphics cards except I can't find figure out how to feed the GPU 8 pin 6 pin connector, appreciate any advice.

Full specs
i7 4770k / Asus maximus hero VI
Dual GTX 780ti / 24 GB DDR3 ram
Samsung EVO 256 SSD, 1TB HDD
RM750 gold
Do you have the old RM750 model with the yellow and white label? If you have the old model it may be time to upgrade it. The new model has more 8-pin PCIe ports (5) vs 3 on the old model. Using adapters is not a good idea.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021
Do you have the old RM750 model with the yellow and white label? If you have the old model it may be time to upgrade it. The new model has more 8-pin PCIe ports (5) vs 3 on the old model.

It does indeed buddy, the components in this build are from 2014 so that actually makes a lot of sense to me now. I guess upgrading is the best and only option as the 3 x 8-pins are used up. Many thanks

It does indeed buddy, the components in this build are from 2014 so that actually makes a lot of sense to me now. I guess upgrading is the best and only option as the 3 8 pins are used up. Many thanks
Keep in mind the 780 ti is a 250 watt card. A pair of them is a lot of power draw. If you really want to use 2 of them you need more headroom. I'd go for a 850W to be safe. Even a 1KW would not be total overkill. If you're planning on SLI you should know that hardly any developers are supporting that anymore. SLI is pretty much dead.

Solution
Apr 7, 2021
I've made a order for 850w thanks for the heads up, yes I am aware of the SLI support and I am planning a new build with most recent tech. I got the second 780ti for a good price and i only use this computer now for editing which kind of justifies spending the extra money which could go towards a new build... None the less I appreciate your wise words of advice and you've saved me a lot of hassle as I had the whole build dissembled trying to figure out why so many cables are being used lol Cheers

I do agree, adapters are a bad idea. Something like Molex/SATA isn't designed to provide the current needed for PCIe and using adapters can cause melted wires or other issues.
The older RM model is quite old, so I do see it wise to replace it since you are running dual 250w GPUs off of your PSU.

I am assuming you upgraded to a new RM850? On the positive, you can carry over this new PSU to your new build whenever you upgrade.

Reactions: refillable