Question Power supply and coil whine

DJRej123

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
So the gist is, I upgraded from a GTX 1060 to a EVGA RTX 2080ti. Originally I had a 600w basic EVGA PSU with only one split 6+2 VGA power cable. I was having artifacting and crashing on the RTX card within a day or two of getting it. I read they recommended 2 cables for the card instead of a split. Since my PSU didn't have that, I decided to upgrade. Now I have an EVGA Supernova G5 1000w Gold Plus. I just decided to go overkill. I still had problems with the card and did an RMA. In the couple of weeks it took to ship and receive the next card, I reverted back to the 1060. Never had any problems with it. Today I got my new RTX, and all seems well, but I noticed when using it I seem to have a coil whine (a term I never heard of until looking this problem up) and it's definitely coming from the power supply. It occurs more the higher fps I run a game at. So if I drop a game to 30fps, it's way quieter than 100fps. When I'm not in a game it's silent. The card hasn't had any issues yet, but I thought I would ask, is coil whine like this something to worry about? Should I RMA the power supply as well?

Thanks for any input.

Coil whine is not dangerous at all. While it is annoying, it will not damage anything and is not indicative of any failure.

That being said, you may be able to RMA the PSU for coil whine (many companies will accept RMAs for coil whine) but there is no way to say if another unit will be better.

I have even heard higher-end PSUs are worse about coil whine sometimes.

DJRej123

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
Alright, good to know it's not harmful. I guess I'll just have to ignore it. Luckily the PSU has a 10 year warranty, so that's plenty of time to make that decision.

DJRej123

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
Okay, just wanted to throw an update. I've noticed this sound, which I believe is a coil whine does happen even when the computer is at idle. This power supply does have an eco mode switch too and I noticed when I have it on and the fan doesn't spin I can hear the wine very faintly (makes me think of a Geiger counter) and then when I turn the fan on there's a separate sound layered over. It's just weird because I don't think either of these sounds happened until I got this second RTX card installed and started using it. I guess my question is, is coil whine not a problem even if the computer is at idle?