Power supply and cooling recommendations

samperry

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hello,
I have a pretty basic rig and I was hoping that i would be able to get some great recommendations for a power supply and VGA cooler from this community.

My budget for the power supply is less than $100 and for the cooler, less than $40.

My rig:
Intel DG41RQ motherboard
Core2duo E7500
4GB RAM
MSI N9800GT VGA
Micro ATX form factor

I was told that power supply compatibility can vary from motherboard to motherboard. What do i need to look for?

I was also looking at the Arctic Cooling Accelero rev2 s1 for a cooler. Any suggestions?

Help is greatly appreciated!

beenthere, samperry was asking about VGA coolers.

sam, for the system you mentioned, any good 400 watt PSU will do. You do not need to worry about PSU compatibility with your motherboard. You only need to worry about two things: adequate power output and the proper cables for your system.

You need a 20+4 pin main power connector, a 4 pin or 4+4 CPU power connector, a single 6 pin PCI power connector and enough molex and SATA connectors for all you drives, accessories, and fans. Any good, modern PSU will have all of that.

samperry

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Thanks for the info, guys!

I actually decided to switch to an aftermarket cooler after a little plastic piece connecting my vga to its fan broke off leaving it unusable till i get a new fan. I'm just worried that the cooler wont be compatible with my vga, even though the arctic cooling accelero lists it as supported, because its not a regular 9800gt...

Regarding the PSU, that cooler master looks pretty good for its price. I was looking at this OCZ PSU as well, keeping in mind a potential upgrade for my rig in the future,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

I'm on holiday in the US and have no way of checking the cooler compatibility with my VGA atm.