[SOLVED] Power supply and GPU coil whine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I, i've noticed a large coil whine on my GPU a week ago.

I've limited fps and realized it was gone under 40 which is weid because for what I know GPU coil whine occurs at high fps.

Today i've switched with another GPU and exactly same issue.

The GPU I have now (strix 2080ti) had no coil one in the rig it was into and mine doesn't coil whine in his.

What could it be ? I have a seasonic ultra prime titanium I use cable mod cables
Motherboard is maximus hero XI

I tried to :
Turn On / off Vsync
Put back original cables
reset bios settings.

Nothing worked.

I asked for a replacement of the PSU but could it be something else? I will get the same one and hope it will be fine.. For an high end expensive titanium one that sucks...

here's a video of the issue :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gctewD7j-8s&feature=emb_logo

Thanks

Solution
The model I would suggest is probably pretty close to or nearly the same as the model you have now. I like the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium units, but that probably doesn't help you resolve this issue.

If you want another VERY high end option, then the Corsair AX series units are pretty hard to ignore, but very expensive. Right now, even more so by a long shot due to supply chain issues.

The Corsair HX platinum are good too, but same thing right now.

The EVGA Supernova G3 is pretty good, but not to the same level as the Prime Ultra.

The Thermalfake, er, Thermaltake, Toughpower Grand and Toughpower Grand RGB units always seem to do very well in reviews, unlike pretty much everything else Thermalfake sells.

You should probably just...

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
OK so maybe I could try the one I linked above? It's actually cheaper than my seasonic? Is it the one you were thinking about? If it fixes the issue I will try to sell my custom cables and buy the corsair ones..

AX is generally Flextronics, or has been in the past. I'm not sure who is making them these days. I'll have to look into it, but they are VERY expensive, especially right now.

No. Only the AX1200 was Flex. Other AX models have always been Seasonic.

While the AX Titanium isn't just a "relabeled Prime" (you can see there's a few differences. That's why it took Corsair over a year to go to market after kicking it off), there's no saying that the coil whine won't go away if you use one of those versus a regular Seasonic Prime.

Honestly, I actually think the HX is a better PSU over all. Sure, not as good efficiency, but the quality has been top notch.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
No. Only the AX1200 was Flex. Other AX models have always been Seasonic.

While the AX Titanium isn't just a "relabeled Prime" (you can see there's a few differences. That's why it took Corsair over a year to go to market after kicking it off), there's no saying that the coil whine won't go away if you use one of those versus a regular Seasonic Prime.

Honestly, I actually think the HX is a better PSU over all. Sure, not as good efficiency, but the quality has been top notch.
Whats the main difference between ac and hx?

Are these the right cables if I do for one of those?

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07JMGJ39B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nadpFbBEWJ6YH

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Did you try the ferrite beads on the PCIe power cables yet?
Nope they are not arrived yet :) they sent me cables with ferrites on it

I have some beads but they are too small to fit the whole cables

I'd like to find some which are big enough for it but could not find some.

If I find some do they have to be put the closest to the gpu or inside de psu cover will be ok? I care about how it looks

I just ordered some larger ferrite beads might have to put 2on each pcie to have all sleaves encased.. Will see. I suppose it can't hurt?

Last edited:
Whats the main difference between ac and hx?

Are these the right cables if I do for one of those?

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07JMGJ39B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nadpFbBEWJ6YH

Difference between AX and HX? Mostly efficiency.

Unfortunately, when Aris reviewed the AX850, he didn't put an HX850 in his comparison stack.

He did, however, include it in the AX1000 review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-ax1000-80-plus-titanium,5966-5.html

Yes. All current Corsair PSUs use Type 4 cables.

Well... except for HXi. But that's because that PSU was launched like 7 years ago.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
AX looks pretty solid but if it's the same base at the seasonic I have there's a good chance i'll have the same issue right? Should I try to get one and test? I could always send it back thanks to amazon :)

I know coil whine isn't a real issue but it's annoying and I really want to understand WHY .

but i'm like 99% sure it's coming from the PSU..

AX looks pretty solid but if it's the same base at the seasonic I have there's a good chance i'll have the same issue right? Should I try to get one and test? I could always send it back thanks to amazon :)

I know coil whine isn't a real issue but it's annoying and I really want to understand WHY .

but i'm like 99% sure it's coming from the PSU..

You can try it. And if the GPU still has coil whine, return it and try the HX. Sure. Why not?

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
You can try it. And if the GPU still has coil whine, return it and try the HX. Sure. Why not?
I might give a shot to Hx if you say that difference is minimal , platform is different, more chance to fix the issue.

I do have some remaining questions :

Is hx and ac both as silent?
Does the HX has cpu pin8+4?
The cable mods are the same for hx right?
HX series wether it's 850 or 1000 are exactly the same right? I don't need a 850 and even if i switch to a 3000serie when it's out I doubt i'll need 1000 W right?

If so i guess i'll go with : https://www.amazon.fr/Corsair-Alimentation-Modulaire-Complet-Platinum/dp/B06W52C4Q5 for 212€

And ask for a refund of my seasonic which I paid 299.

I was browsing too and so the Asus Thor, it looks so great but is it good? I saw my cablemods cables would also be compatible.

But first I'll see if ferrites will help :) I'll get some tomorrow.

About ferrites :
I took some 13mm I guess I can use 2 on each pcie cable to encase it all since its sleave would it be OK?
Also does the placement of it matters? Do they have to be like pretty close to the gpu?

Or could I put it there and hidden ?

https://www.casimages.com/i/200818103941962302.jpg.html

Last edited:
Well, I'll tell you what. If JonnyGuru and the folks at Seasonic can't tell you why it's doing it, then beyond what we've already covered I wouldn't have a clue where to investigate beyond that or how to offer you any insights that they couldn't. Considering, this is what they all DO, specifically.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Well i'll get the ferrite tomorrow. If it does not fix it i'll go for HX1000 since it's 20e more than 850w on amazon, would that be good?

Or should i stick to 850w?

Also is this kit the right one for HX? It's not said on the page but on cablemod page it seems it's the good one
https://www.topachat.com/pages/deta...is_ref_est_in10115187.html#descriptif-produit

Last edited:
You're already about 250w over the recommended capacity as it is, so no, I would definitely NOT recommend getting a 1000w unit, not even if you were overclocking both the graphics card AND the CPU, and the memory as well. Maybe if you were running 2080 ti's in SLI, but not for a single card.

In fact, and this is an uncertainty and not based on anything concrete at all, but IIRC I've encountered a few situations before where somebody had a similar configuration and had coil whine BECAUSE they were running so far over what they really needed. Technically, that really shouldn't cause any problems, but there were at least two systems if I'm remembering correctly that when they dropped down to 750w units, the problems went away. One of them in fact might have even dropped from an 850w Prime Gold down to a 650w Prime Titanium, but I honestly can't remember for certain. So many threads, so few brain cells remaining. :)

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Well i'll go for the HX850 I guess :) Just waiting to see if the ferrites fix it but i doubt it a bit

Should i take the hx850i or there is no difference?

Last edited:

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I hope it will fix the issue.

if not, i will have to live with it I guess and i'll keep the seasonic maybe? Which one is "better" ?

Also someone told me to get an UPS and maybe cleans the power?

Last edited:
A UPS doesn't really "cleans the power" and might actually make things worse especially if you don't get the right kind of UPS that is compatible with the type of waveform used by whatever model of power supply you are trying to match it to. Many of the high end power supplies these days require a Pure sine wave UPS, and a lot of UPS systems are modified sine wave units, which can be a problem itself. Pure sine wave units are not generally cheap.

Power line conditioners, which might be what they thought they were telling you about, might be a different story but honestly unless you live somewhere where there is an actual problem with the power grid or the circuits in your home, or you are using very sensitive or high end musical equipment, it's probably way overkill. There are literally millions of people doing this, without using either of those things. Getting a UPS is a good idea, for other reasons, but I'm not too sure it's the answer to THIS question.

TRENDING THREADS