[SOLVED] Power supply and GPU coil whine?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I, i've noticed a large coil whine on my GPU a week ago.

I've limited fps and realized it was gone under 40 which is weid because for what I know GPU coil whine occurs at high fps.

Today i've switched with another GPU and exactly same issue.

The GPU I have now (strix 2080ti) had no coil one in the rig it was into and mine doesn't coil whine in his.

What could it be ? I have a seasonic ultra prime titanium I use cable mod cables
Motherboard is maximus hero XI

I tried to :
Turn On / off Vsync
Put back original cables
reset bios settings.

Nothing worked.

I asked for a replacement of the PSU but could it be something else? I will get the same one and hope it will be fine.. For an high end expensive titanium one that sucks...

here's a video of the issue :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=gctewD7j-8s&feature=emb_logo

Thanks

Solution
The model I would suggest is probably pretty close to or nearly the same as the model you have now. I like the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium units, but that probably doesn't help you resolve this issue.

If you want another VERY high end option, then the Corsair AX series units are pretty hard to ignore, but very expensive. Right now, even more so by a long shot due to supply chain issues.

The Corsair HX platinum are good too, but same thing right now.

The EVGA Supernova G3 is pretty good, but not to the same level as the Prime Ultra.

The Thermalfake, er, Thermaltake, Toughpower Grand and Toughpower Grand RGB units always seem to do very well in reviews, unlike pretty much everything else Thermalfake sells.

You should probably just...

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Well, i just installed the Corsair one and seems it's exactly the same issue ..

I guess it's not the PSU but very probably the gpu itself and then there is like nothing to do...

I can send back the seasonic untill 14th of september so I have time to see i guess but which one would you keep?

I can send one on another back to amazon. The seasonic is more expensive but does it worth the extra money or should I l leave the HX 850 in my rig and call it a day?

I'll live with this coil whine and hope the next gpu I'll buy won't have it

Also the seasonic made that but the corsair is doing it too is it normal to have a loud clac at shutdown ?

Last edited:

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
What I really find weird is that both cards tested have coil whine even at 30/40 fps which is not a common behaviour. That leads me to think that it's not the card but if it's not the psu either what can it be?

Can it be some loose screws on the mother board or maybe some interferences with led strip? I've shutted down all rgb but I didn't unplugged the argb from the motherboard for instance.

I really don't understand its really frustrating

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Since the issue is on both GPU and even at low FPS I'm not sure it's the graphic card. And the friend i swapped GPU with called me and let me hear my EVGA on his rig. No noise at all.

It's a mystery. And probably something stupid.

Could it be, I don't know, some RGB componets messing it up? I tried to turn off aura but maybe i should unplug all stuff that are not needed to test it out?

Yes, I'd actually suggest that taking the WHOLE THING out of the case, installing ONLY the board, OS drive, memory, cooler, graphics card and power supply, nothing else, on the bench, and see if it still happens, would be a very good idea.

You can ignore the various steps for eliminating the cause of a no-POST in that guide, and simply use it as a reference for doing a bench build on top of a piece of cardboard box or something similar. Generally, the box the motherboard came in works really well for this, if you still have it.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Yep i'll do that next week I just put back the seasonic PSU and send back the corsair one which has a very very light grinding noise on the back, i hate that. the seasonic is absolutely silent.

too tired and angry to do that today i'll mess something up but i'll try that on monday and tell you :)

For my issue, i'll follow this guide if the noise isn't there with the only necessary components i'll add components one by one like other drives and rgb strip untill the issue occurs and i'll know.

It will be long but at least i'll know !

Could it somehow be linked to the case itself?

BTW thanks again for your help and patience, it's awesome :)

If it is coil whine, it can't be the case, or anything that isn't an electronic component. Mostly, you will only hear this from graphics card, PSU or motherboard, although any component with windings such as fans can do this and anything with capacitors could have some kind of cap squealing. Rarely though do we ever hear anything except from the PSU or graphics card, and even that is not all that common really.

It isn't a question of the case being an issue. It's a question of everything being an issue. Cases are not electonic components so they can't have coil whine. That doesn't mean something can't be improperly installed, or shorted, or that there can't be vibrations or harmonics from the case, or ten other things, all of which might be eliminated by removing everything from the enclosure.

After what all you've done so far, benching the motherboard ought to be a no brainer. I'm not going to list all the potential things that might be uncovered by unbuilding the system, but they exist, and are real, and while I don't really think it's particularly likely to uncover anything by benching it you've already done everything else you could do with it in the case so it really doesn't make a lot of sense to not bench it.

Who knows, you might see something on the back of the motherboard that is obvious, or in a lot of cases I've seen problems that, after they benched it and found nothing, then put it all back together, never returned. You just never know.

TRIPLE check EVERYTHING here:

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Well i have checked everything and NO display untill a put everything in the case again without rgb or other disks, just the minimum but sill coil while. I guess i'm just unlucky with GPUs but still i don't get why both gpus CW even at low fps. It's a mystery and i think i won"t try solving it anymore i'm tired of it, i'll live with it and enjoy my computer with my headset while gaming

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I sent back the corsair.

All is working fine, I still have the coil and I still haven't understood why it does it with different gpus and even at low fps but well I'll live with it it's not really audible with the fans and headset. :) I just hope it won't turn into a bigger issue?

Who knows? Without knowing WHY it's doing it, I don't think anybody can say one way or the other. USUALLY, coil whine does not harm anything so it would be doubtful for it to turn into a bigger issue, but I don't rule anything out when it comes to electronic devices.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Yep I kept the seasonic also I could not return the expensive cable mods so I kept those :)

Well when playing I don't hear the noise so it was a fake issue I guess thanks you all for your patience and kindness