Question power supply bad or do i have another problem?

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Hello everyone

My pc the other day started having this odd issue with the hard drives.
its set up as a plex server and has 5 hard drives in it besides the os drive.

yesterday the hard drives started to vanish and then re appear. it was not the same hard drive doing it but multiple ones in the pc.

all the cables power and sata all are solid in them.

but i noticed the led's on the fan are fluctuating as well

so i am thinking the power supply is going bad, its served me well for quite a few years and if they still was around i'd get another one but they've gone under as has the lifetime warranty.

its an ultra 650watt power supply modular i know a lot of people hated those power supplies but i've had two of them and they've worked for many years without problems.

i believe windows 10 did an update before i noticed this issue as well.

what do you all think? power supply or software issue?

thanks

ryan

Jul 24, 2019
From your description, it seems that failing PSU is the issue.
Which PSU exactly do you have? Some are known to be quite "wonky". I assume that if you're running a Plex server, it's running pretty much 24/7, right?

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
From your description, it seems that failing PSU is the issue.
Which PSU exactly do you have? Some are known to be quite "wonky". I assume that if you're running a Plex server, it's running pretty much 24/7, right?
the power supply is
ultra x4 750watt power supply
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1583410

but i think they went out of business like 3 or so years ago

this power supply is probably 6 years or older

yes its running 24/7 so is my other one thats not a plex but thats beside the case.

see i vaguely recall something similar happening when one went bad a long time ago.

ryan

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
well installed my new seasonic focus + gold 850watt power supply, think i went over kill per their calculator i would be alright with room to grow on a 550 but it was replacing a 750 and the 850 was only 10 bucks more so what the heck.

of course had to redo all the cabling because ultra modular cables are not compatible with any other brands it seems.

once installed and everything hooked up the pc fired right up.
open loading the graphics said it was recovering from a catastrophic failure (assuming power supply) in the few hours its up and running no hard drive has vanished and reappeared.

the old power supply don't smell burnt at all, none of the cables looked damaged or burnt or anything.

maybe i caught it before it got too bad, maybe it just stopped being able to produce enough watts.

i liked those ultra power supplies too, but i've had a seasonic on my new pc build for just over a year (650watt) and its running just fine.

i hope this is the end of this issue.

ryan