Power Supply bottom vents only big enough to to show 60% of the PS fan, is this OK?

Midnitewolf

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
I just bought a new Rosewill Challenger case and just installed the PS. I have Antec Earthwatts 750. The issue is that the Fan on the PS isn't lining up well with the vent slot at the bottom of the case, in fact only about 50-60% of the fan is exposed to the vents.

My concern obviously is that the PS is not going to get enough airflow and burn out/wear out very quickly. Do you all think this is a problem and if so, should I flip the PS upside down so the fan is sucking from inside the case.

Also will this disrupt the airflow in the case. I bought the Rosewill specifically because of its 3 fan design allowing pull from the front with the cool air to be pulled up over the MB and processor to be vented out the top and back. Seems if I flip the PS, most of the cool air I am venting in will get sucked through the PS fan and out the bottom rather than out the top and back.

Solution
The job of a psu fan is to protect the psu.
With a 750w quality psu, I doubt that your unit needs to work very hard at all.
If you hear the fan spin up and get noisy, then it is an indicator that it is having a heat problem.
In general, getting cool air into the psu, even if it is a bit restricted , will be better than feeding it warm case air.

I vote for leaving it be.
The job of a psu fan is to protect the psu.
With a 750w quality psu, I doubt that your unit needs to work very hard at all.
If you hear the fan spin up and get noisy, then it is an indicator that it is having a heat problem.
In general, getting cool air into the psu, even if it is a bit restricted , will be better than feeding it warm case air.

I vote for leaving it be.

Solution

Midnitewolf

Honorable
Nov 5, 2013
Geofelt, I think your probably correct and what your saying makes sense since I know the air inside the PC has to be pretty hot especially since I am OCing. I will leave it facing down and see how it ends up working.

if the air is hot and not just warm you need to do something about venting the case... a high cfm fan on the top back will help a lot but cleaning up your wiring will do just as much. clean up any rats nest of cables and you will improve general air flow and stop thermal eddies forming behind cables that end up trapping heat.