Question Power supply broke after jostling cable?

Puchpuch

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum. I think its an issue with my power supply, but I'm not certain.

While plugging a USB cable into the back of my computer, I accidentally jostled the power cord, and the computer died. After plugging it back in and restarting, it doesn't seem to boot properly. The monitor isn't picking anything up from the computer despite all of its connections being fine (I've unplugged and replugged the monitor to check) and the computer is making different noises than it usually does. I'll post some possibly relevant specs here:
PSU: Zalman ZM500-GV
MB: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
Intel Core i3-4130

Please feel free to ask me anything else about the PC that might help solve this problem.

Last edited:

Puchpuch

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
First I'd turn it off. Unplug it from power. Hold the power button for 10 seconds. Wait 10 minutes. Plug it back in. Then turn it back on.
Thanks for your response. I'm afraid after following those instructions there's no change, and the computer still fails to boot.

I think I've figured out whats changed about the computers noise: the hard drive is no longer making a distinctive "start up" whine. I'm not sure if the problem is with the hard drive or not though, because its not totally silent, and I never heard any typical failing hard drive noises.

Apr 28, 2020
it have dedicated gpu ? or just integrated graphics ?. i would first smell the psu if something smells bad, stop doing anything. if no stranges smell, i sugest to tighten all the mobo power conections and disconect anything that is not fully necesary, (extra hdds, fans etc..) this includes usb ports besides keyboard and mouse, unplug from power remove cmos batery and push power button 10 seconds, and test run.

Reactions: Zeky

Puchpuch

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
it have dedicated gpu ? or just integrated graphics ?. i would first smell the psu if something smells bad, stop doing anything. if no stranges smell, i sugest to tighten all the mobo power conections and disconect anything that is not fully necesary, (extra hdds, fans etc..) this includes usb ports besides keyboard and mouse, unplug from power remove cmos batery and push power button 10 seconds, and test run.
Sorry, it does have a GeForce GTX 750 graphics card. Theres no smell or smoke coming from the PSU, but after doing all that I'm afraid its still not behaving any differently.

Puchpuch

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
What was plugged in via USB and did you try booting the PC with whatever this USB device is unplugged?
It was a Logitech Gamepad, and yeah, I've tried booting the PC with everything except the power cable and monitor cable plugged in.( I've also tried booting it without the power cable in, as per the previous responses instructions)

Apr 28, 2020
on your mother board you should have one big connector on the right and one 8 pin mark as CPU double check this one on the PSu (if modular) and the motherboard.

Apr 28, 2020
if GPU Fan are running and cpu fan are not running it's more MB or CPU related then your PSu. Then if your case fan are running too its Cpu power connector.

Puchpuch

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
unplug and replug, be sure to push it until you hear the small click.
I've tried but I'm not having any luck. The connector is totally stuck, and theres not enough room in the case to get a screwdriver in. I don't have any antistatic equipment and I don't want to damage motherboard.