[SOLVED] Power supply broken

Mar 29, 2020
Hi there. I have a problem. Recent I have buyed a gaming pc, amd ryzen 5 3600, rtx 2060, 16 GB ram croshair, power supply 600 w njoy titan 80+ bronze..... In this morning I've go to backyard... For 8 hours.... When I was back in the house I have put myself at pc..... To play a game.... When I've pressed the power button to open pc my psu smoked 😂 I don't know why....my question its.... Its there a chance that psu to broke my other components or its just protection of psu.... I've watch the condensators on motherboard and all its OK.... If I plug the cable source doesent make anything..... When I press the power button he makes smoke.... What to be?

Solution
Time for a new PSU. Hopefully one of better quality.

It is definitely possible that the failed PSU damaged other components. You really won't know until you attach a properly working PSU.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Was responding but COLGeek has covered it.

Its there a chance that psu to broke my other components or its just protection of psu
NJoy are generally junk PSUs. Myself and another mod spoke about it here

There is every possibility it has damaged other components because it is poor quality, but the only way to tell is to get a new good quality unit and retest as above has stated.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This isn't the first thread that had one of those Njoy psus in the build. They're bad, and you got bitten for getting a cheap unit.
Psu kicked the bucket, and there's no way to tell what else may have been damaged in the process without replacing parts.

First order of business is getting a new psu - one that's worth its weight. See here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...pply-for-attached-build.3603181/post-21736184
Once you get the new psu, then the troubleshooting can begin.
If it still doesn't power on after replacing the psu, then the next replacement depends on whether any LEDs turn on or not.
-If no LEDs, or they come on very briefly, replace the motherboard next.
-If LEDs come on & stay on, but still no image, then the gpu is next. If still nothing, then the cpu.

Oh. I was a little late, it seems.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Mar 29, 2020
Time for a new PSU. Hopefully one of better quality.

It is definitely possible that the failed PSU damaged other components. You really won't know until you attach a properly working PSU.
I'm gonna sent pc to warranty...... They gonna change psu.... Or broken component....

Mar 29, 2020
I've let pc open when I was get out.... I've let to download gta 5.... When I was get back I've found pc turn off..... With power led green.... And a little smell of smoke.... Normally led mos be red when it's turned off.... I've unplugged the cable.... And I've put it back.... When I pressed the power button the psu smokes.....

Mar 29, 2020
I've cecked motherboard power cable from the psu.... No signs of black smoke or burn.... The same I was ceck the graphics card and its the same.... No sign of burn or smell.... Ram the same.... No sign of anything.... Just bad smell on psu..... Its definitely broken.... If its power supply I'm gonna take myself one good. I don't gonna wait 2 weeks for reparation.... If its just power suplly I'm gonna support the cost.... If power supply affect other components I must leave there for reparations....

I think that if you sniff around your components and the only thing that smells burnt is the PSU....and you have no visible signs of other damage...then chances are pretty good it was just the PSU. This has been my experience most of the time. However there is still a chance of damaged components...but I think more likely than not your other components are OK.

Mar 29, 2020
All seems fine.... No smell or something. Like burn or this tings...... I forgot to mention the fact that pc has manage to power up but when I see the smoke I've unplugged the cable..... I will send to warranty to see what's going on..... Thanks boys.... And don't buy njoy psu.... They are manufactured in my country Romania.... And it's <Mod Edit>.... Or its made in China and in Romania are distributed....... They are scamming peoples with 80+ bronze.... I ts not even certified that performance.... Its just a fictive manufacturer lie.... To sell their products.... A bunch of morons.... Just în România you see something like this....

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 29, 2020
And yeah I know njoy it's very weak psu.... They says its good but.... They have a non certified 80+ bronze..... Like with the power its just on label.... Nobody like njoy..... On a pc with 16 GB ram DDR 4, rtx 2060 super, and ryzen 5 3600.... You put njoy?...... It was good a segotep.... Or another good brand..... I don't realise on moment.... But now look what hapened.... And I risk to be damaged other component even its no signs of burn or something else.....

Mar 29, 2020
It's working like charm 😁 I need one more information..... I have a hhd 1tb and an ssd 250 GB. 2 cables sata. One its 6gb and another 8 GB. Witch cable to put on ssd, 6 or 8 GB?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just FYI, almost All psus commercially available are made in China, so that description of value doesn't apply, since the best psu's available are also made in China. The problem is that the worst psu's are also made there and its on the buyer to determine the difference.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Mar 29, 2020
Yeah.... My problem its with electrical tension.... I have fluctuations on electrical network.... But I have buyed an ups now..... And its solved.... Thanks God its all good with pc....