Power supply buzzing sound

Spbach

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
It's a very slight noise, but when I put my head close to the back of my computer, there is a distinct buzzing. Does anyone know what could cause this? It is an HX 850, and it hasn't impacted performance or temperature at all.

Solution
If you are in doubt with the sound then RMA the PSU. Under normal circumstances a good working PSU will operate soundless. So I think something is wrong and its hard to determine without physically seeing it that what causes the sound. Good luck.

Rams Anirudh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

Check for lose cables. That could also cause this

Kai Dowin

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Ruuuuuuuuuun!

-

Joking! I will wait for a more specialized opinion, but I heard about capacitors that makes this sort of noise (that is kinda irritating) without any harm. But, I also heard that stuffed capacitors that are dying can make this sort of buzzing sound.

Spbach

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

They shouldn't be dying, I just built this system 3 weeks ago

Rams Anirudh

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

It also could be the coil because of load. If the sound is too annoying you can always replace it with manufacturers

If you are in doubt with the sound then RMA the PSU. Under normal circumstances a good working PSU will operate soundless. So I think something is wrong and its hard to determine without physically seeing it that what causes the sound. Good luck.

Solution